Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
@Travis In the business they call that the 'margin of safety' and it's designed into nearly every part of a mass produced vehicle from seat belts to connecting rods.

@Forgotten

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Haha you wish. :)

I know my grammer sucks but oh well you get the point. You just don't want to admit Cadillac Slacked off and used the old V6 to cut costs and still charge the same because they're greedy. :D

@Travis In the business they call that the 'margin of safety' and it's designed into nearly every part of a mass produced vehicle from seat belts to connecting rods.

@Forgotten

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
Haha you wish. :)

You just don't want to admit Cadillac Slacked off and used the old V6 to cut costs and still charge the same because they're greedy. :D
Yep that's all it was. Silly me. Nice work, detective.

You should check out the Occupy Movement. I hear they have a spot waiting for you!

·
Registered
1993 deville
113 Posts
No but I have common sense on my side. It's like putting AA batteries in a generator to power a house. You just can't do it. You need a stronger power source.
Do you seriously believe this is a valid argument? I suppose you could compare putting aa batteries in a generator to using a shimano bicycle motor into a cadillac deville as apposed to an automobile transmission.
Yes im sure they always could have made an even stronger transmission, but why do that when you already have one capable of handling the load.
Its like buying a brand new generator, because you bought a couple extra lamps.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
I'll just step in here again with some food for thought, without getting technical...the 4l60 was another 60 series transmission with a similar torque rating that lived behind V8's in full sized trucks, vans, and SUV's, as well as sports cars such as the Corvette. Like the 4T60, it was GM's mainstay transmission for more than a decade. Was that also inadequate for V8 use?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
No it's a different transmission. A lot different actually.

I'll just step in here again with some food for thought, without getting technical...the 4l60 was another 60 series transmission with a similar torque rating that lived behind V8's in full sized trucks, vans, and SUV's, as well as sports cars such as the Corvette. Like the 4T60, it was GM's mainstay transmission for more than a decade. Was that also inadequate for V8 use?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
They are different as far as the obvious configuration differences, but in most important ways, they are remarkably similar.

Either way, they are both a 60 series, which would indicate that they have the same/similar torque capacities. So is it just another V6 transmission put in the wrong place?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
I'm not sure I don't know much about that transmission, I know there are several different versions that were used in trucks and such.

But the 4T60 that is used in Cadillac's are identical to the ones used in V6s in other GM cars. You don't see something wrong with that? Unless someone can chime in and say that they upgraded something I still believe it to be inferior and a error on Cadillac's part for putting a V6 transmission in a V8 car.

They are different, but in most important ways, they are remarkably similar.

Either way, they are both a 60 series, which would indicate that they have the same/similar torque capacities. So is it just another V6 transmission put in the wrong place?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,304 Posts
It's rare to see anyone over 100k on the original transmission just because of what I just stated.
The only thing I can add to this debate, for whatever it is worth, is that my '92 Deville 4.9 (4T60E) had 125K on it when I traded it and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
that's the regular 4T60 not the E model, right? The E was used in the Northstar.

Yea I mean it's possible to go over 100k on it if you drive gingerly and take care of it and don't drive on a lot of hills or stop and go traffic.

My old 4.5 had 270k on the original transmission on my old 90. But that's a 4.5, those have 255lbft/tq

The only thing I can add to this debate, for whatever it is worth, is that my '92 Deville 4.9 (4T60E) had 125K on it when I traded it and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I'm not sure I don't know much about that transmission, I know there are several different versions that were used in trucks and such.

But the 4T60 that is used in Cadillac's are identical to the ones used in V6s in other GM cars. You don't see something wrong with that? Unless someone can chime in and say that they upgraded something I still believe it to be inferior and a error on Cadillac's part for putting a V6 transmission in a V8 car.
4L60's were put behind V6's as well (the 4.3L, mostly). I don't see anything wrong with it. A 60 series is perfectly capable of handling a V6.

Don't forget that the vehicle's weight has an effect on the transmissions capacity, not just engine torque. A heavier car needs a stronger transmission, V8 or not. GM made a lot of heavy V6 powered vehicles in the last 20 years. Would you have felt better about the 4T60 if GM had used the inadequate 3T40 for their V6 powered cars instead?

You'll find cross-utilization such as these GM transmissions across ALL brands. This isn't a one time exclusive thing.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Not the same thing, the 4L60 was designed for V8s off the bat. The 4T60 was designed for V6s originally. That's the difference.

4L60's were put behind V6's as well (the 4.3L, mostly). I don't see anything wrong with it. A 60 series is perfectly capable of handling a V6.

You'll find cross-utilization such as these GM transmissions across ALL brands. This isn't a one time exclusive thing.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
The 4T60 was designed for V6s originally.
Your source for this info?

As far as I know, the 4T60 began service in GM's heavier full sized FWD's...the C-body Deville (V8 powered) and the H-body Lesabre/Park Ave/88/98. It was "designed" to be GM's strongest FWD transmission of the day - this wasn't any sort of forced carry over. GM already had the lesser 3T40 servicing it's smaller V6 powered vehicles.

What's confusing you is that the 4T60 was actually one of the smoothest shifting, strongest FWD transmissions of the day. Drive anything else from the mid-80's and you'll understand. It was successful enough that just a few years later, it's use became more widespread into the smaller W and A bodies. Don't fool yourself into thinking that they were "designed" for the later applications.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Wrong article, bro. 4T60-E didn't debut till '91, and as the article states, it's just a small evolution of the 4T60 with little significant internal change.

This is the root "design" you are talking about. It even talks about it's debut in '85:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_125#Turbo-Hydramatic_440-T4

Looks like I was incorrect about it's debut in the Lesabre and 88. It was only the Deville and 98, according to that.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Yea but the article I posted talks about the old 4T60 as well. I believe my car has the 4T60-E, well at least according to the article anyway.

Wrong article, bro. 4T60-E didn't debut till '91, and as the article states, it's just a small evolution of the 4T60 with little significant internal change.

This is the "design" you are talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic_125#Turbo-Hydramatic_440-T4

Looks like I was incorrect about it's debut in the Lesabre and 88.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
You don't even know what transmission you have, or which one you are actually talking about, do you? On that note, I'm gonna go punch some babies.

Good luck getting to work the next few days without your transmission assploding all over the road! It's a wonder any of these cars are still rolling anymore! Damn GM engineers, they don't know nothin'

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
821 Posts
Hmmmmmm, X-Body is where it started I guess I didn't see that part. Atleast it proves my point anyway. :D

----------

Really? Can I watch? :D

Yea I wasn't sure if it was the 4T60E or not so relax. It's a simple error. They're both the same crap anyway.

You don't even know what transmission you have, or which one you are actually talking about, do you? On that note, I'm gonna go punch some babies.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,304 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
that's the regular 4T60 not the E model, right? The E was used in the Northstar.

Yea I mean it's possible to go over 100k on it if you drive gingerly and take care of it and don't drive on a lot of hills or stop and go traffic.

My old 4.5 had 270k on the original transmission on my old 90. But that's a 4.5, those have 255lbft/tq
I think it was the 4T60E, but it's been so long I would not swear to it.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts