Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
"94 sdn deville R.I.P." 91 sedan deville 1978 eldorado
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, other than the obvious intake and exaust mods are there any bolt on modifications that i can do to pull some extra power out of my 4.9 before having any major internal work done (which i may end up doing when i get the money) so if there's any thing that im looking past out there plz hook me up w/ some product names info and such thanks!

:burn:

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
Not really. I wish, but...not really. Nothing noticeable like a turbo car. Even internal work won't help much. Transmission is a weak point, nitrous is possible, but otherwise...save money, buy a turbo car.

Not trying to be standoffish, but I was disappointed to find out the above information, and I'm pissed cuz my car is being retarded.

:welcome:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty then thanks i guess lol my quest continues !!!! haha
<inside voice> ---:dammit:

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
A good CAI and a good (read: not chokemaster) exhaust is a fairly good start.

If you're handy with a die grinder or dremel tool, you can port out your intake manifold, and if you're feeling really froggy, your heads. This process takes a few days and should only be attempted if you know what you're doing (Pick up a spare head and practice on it. A warped one from a junkyard or something similar. I also advise having a spare car or good friends in case you cannot finish the job as quick as you thought). The kits for porting cost around $30, and there are tutorials on how to do it and do it right available for free on the web.

If you still have the itch for speed after that, depending on how you want to go, your best bet would probably be a wet nitrous kit spraying 50 or 75hp.

As far as bolt ons go, there's not alot for this car, but a good intake and exhaust should bump this car up to around 240bhp. If you want more than a simple intake, I'd go ram air. I'm working on a setup for ram air right now...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry for the double post, the forums won't let me edit.

I forgot about the simplest mod you can do for the 4.9, and that is to bump the timing 4 degrees. Cadillac set the timing a little conservative as the 4.9 has no knock sensor, and this mod adds a couple extra horses throughout the whole powerband. Big bang for the buck since it's free.

Mustang injectors are one I forgot too. Apparently, the orange top 4.6 V8 Mustang injectors are a direct fit to the 4.9, and flow 19lb/hr instead of 18lb/hr like the stock ones. I figure this mod will add more on a car with an intake and exhaust than a stock 4.9, since the car will be moving more air and will actually need the extra fuel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome i guess i wasnt really outa luck for bolt-ons timing ajustment would u be setting it to 14degrees then ? and as for the work on the intake and heads if i do something down that will take my car off the streets for a while i was probly plannin on boring her out to a 5.0l which is possible ive heard w/ out replacing the cylinder sleeves

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would probly send her to a shop for the heads and cylinders

·
Registered
439 Posts
Punching it out to 5.0 is possible and is a good idea. The Northstar pistons will fit the cylinder sleeves and it will raise the compression to 10.5-11:1.

I don't really know much about this modification, but if you'd like to learn more about it click here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts