Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
toyotarob said:
Hi,

I'm trying to work on my Girlfriends 92 El Dorado. It has been having drivability issues for the last week. Long story short it died today and it will no longer start. It appears as though no spark is coming out.

There are no ECM codes that I know of. Spark jump test failed, which I'm not sure you can do on this car.

My main question right now is, should there be a constant voltage to the distributor? On my check of the 5 wires going to the distributor, I see no voltage on any of the 5. Perhaps I am not checking it the correct way. I only have a Chiltons which has not been helpful.

I also checked the coil harness and there was no voltage on cranking. If I read correctly, voltage should pass to the coil when the *thing* hit's the hall sensor??

It seems to me though that no voltage can pass through, if no voltage is GOING to the distributor in the first place.

Please help!
three things to check.. the fuse for hot power to the distributor, the ignition coil, and the ignition module. if the fuse is fine, and there are no obvious cuts in any of the wires on the harness, i would go to autozone, buy the DELCO( dont buy the el cheap wells module ) ignition module, and buy an ignition coil. more than likely it is the module that is bad.. if it doesnt solves yoru problem, then it is the coil, and return which ever item you dont use..no point spendig alot of time troubleshooting when you can use trial and error in this case

· Registered
82 Posts
91TexasSeville said:
Chuckle....
Most, if not all, auto supply stores will NOT take electrical components back for refund, only exchange. Troubleshooting is not a waste of time. It is a thorough test of all related components, and assurance that the tested components are good. Keeping your car or truck all GM, Ford, or Mopar is always a good suggestion.
autozone takes them back just fine..at least they do for me, maybe they dot liek you? hahaha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.