Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
eldorado '91
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 eldorado and want to have a custom exhaust put on but I want dual exit exhaust instead of the single it has. Also I want to put the pipes coming out the side in front of the rear tires. Any thoughts?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I have a 1991 eldorado and want to have a custom exhaust put on but I want dual exit exhaust instead of the single it has. Also I want to put the pipes coming out the side in front of the rear tires. Any thoughts?
===========================
Any thoughts?
don't bother -

true duals are next to impossible -
in fact - I have NEVER seen a successful set -

there are no headers available -
there is simply no way/path to run twin pipes -
no room for two mufflers -
and "side-dumps" just don't look good on a Cadillac -

I can understand the preference of dual outlets - looks good -

the best way would be a single pipe -
into a single transverse muffler -
with two tailpipes -

·
Registered
eldorado '91
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wasn't going to go for a true dual. I was thinking of inserting a y pipe after the cat and running smaller diameter piping from there if possible And maybe small mufflers. Just kind of looking around to see if anyone has seen or done this with the 4.9 I know the 4.6 north star had dual mufflers at the rear so maybe something similar

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Well I wasn't going to go for a true dual. I was thinking of inserting a y pipe after the cat and running smaller diameter piping from there if possible And maybe small mufflers. Just kind of looking around to see if anyone has seen or done this with the 4.9 I know the 4.6 north star had dual mufflers at the rear so maybe something similar
-------------------------------
there really isn't any advantage in a Y to two mufflers -
no power gain -
no gain in gas mileage -
it would strictly be cosmetic -
you can $ave a lot by going with the single muffler and two tailpipes -
and it will have the look you are after -

·
Registered
Cadillac 1993 Deville 4.9, 1991 Eldorado Touring Coupe
370 Posts
I think there is no room to route true duals on a 91. I have 91 ETC with dual factory outlets..... Perhaps you can copy that look with a transverse muffler as basscat suggested and with two short tailpipes out the back with a rectangular outlets

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
"Duals" have always been thought of as a performance upgrade. 95% of the time they're not. If the existing single pipe/muffler or single pipe dual muffler setup presents no back pressure up at the WOT shift points then duals will change the sound, not the performance.

A performance case in point for the 4.6 Northstar with single cat, resonator, exhaust pipe to a Y and dual mufflers can be found in the thread "Vroom, vroom" - a change to a larger pipe and less restrictive resonator clone of the factory system. The simple, bolt-on upgrade was good for 16 hp up in the 5,000 rpm range.

The 4.9 can be made to breathe a bit better, but do NOT expect anything remotely close to a miracle coming from exhaust pipe work.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/378042-vroom-vroom-2001-sts-corsa-dyno.html

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you just want dual exit some of those eldorados came with the single muffler dual tail pipe setup. Just get those parts. Or on the cheap lots GMs of that era used the same sot of dual tail pipe muffler, just get one of those. No real performance gain but it'll still have the look you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts