Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, with all the recent talk between these 2 engines, and the N* in general.... lets compare these two engines....they are completly differnt designs, but shared may of the same car ('92 SeVille and Eldo, '94-'95 DeVille) even the smaller brother to the 4.9, the 4.5 and the N* shared the Allante....... so lets hear it..... which is the better overall engine? N* has some aftermarket, 4.9 has none at all, N* has more power while the 4.9 seems to be alot more reliable etc...... lets go for it and compare these two power plants.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I really liked the IDEA of the northstar (IE the running with no coolant, reverse flow, etc, etc.......), but in reality I think the engine is ASS!! It is a well designed engine (kinda) but they didnt build it right...... it should be the best engine around, but it isnt...... I wish my car had the OBD that the cadillacs do (I have to pull my ECU and turn a screw and read a blinking light to read my codes :( ).......

The northstar doesnt really have that much of an aftermarket, where it will actually make a difference.......

The 4.9 is a good engine, IMO, maybe a little underpowered for my tastes, and its size (although it is a single cam).......

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There's really NOT much difference in power. Horse power yes, but torque no. And when you consider the cost of ownership between the two, and the huge difference in reliability, I think the 4.9 is a slam-dunk.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yes and no...The 4.9 is a good solid reliable engine and has plenty of power to move the car rather quickly. The Northstar is also a solid dependable engine and has a couple of small issues that show up in relativley few engines....( What you read on these boards notwithstanding.) The main reasons we hear so many complaints about the N/S engine is that MANY PEOPLE ON THESE FORUM BUY OLD CARS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN PROPERLY MAINTAINED. One of the other reasons is that we have a lot of guys here with NO practical experience with the engine that will repeat what they hear or read as if they really know! ( WES! ) They usually don't even have a Cadillac ( WES! ) and know nothing about the engine! I like the N/S and the 4.9 They're BOTH exellent engines! Remember...For every engine that you read about on the boards that may have a problem there are THOUSANDS out there running fine with NO PROBLEMS! The ones that run with no problems get no attention paid to them....( And that's most of them ) There really isn't a HUGE difference in reliability but there are some fairly minor and for the most part rare problems. To read these forums You'd think that every N/S on the road was about to have a catastrophic failure...They're not! We need to put it in perspective. There is a broader picture out there in the real world that some of us are not seeing clearly! In other words, They're both good engines!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
My '95 ETC had 110,000+ when I sold it and the engine was like brand new. The only engine problem I ever had was "the big leak". Otherwise, it was maintained meticulously and showed it... I don't think the Northstar has many issues itself. The things around it kinda did - but that's the be expected after 110,000 miles...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
BeelzeBob