Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having starter problems on my '94 Devilles 4.9. Once in a while, I will turn the key and only hear the click of the solenoid. On the next attempt it will fire right up. The starter is a rebuilt one from Autozone and over a year old. Yesterday, the starter refused to engage at all! I was having battery problems, but now have a new battery, but the intermittent starter problem still exists. I did get it started yesterday, but this morning when I turned the key, all I heard was the click of the solenoid again. I turned the key again, and it fired up.
Now my question is, should I just be assuming the cheap rebuilt starter from Autozone is to blame? Or is there something else I should be looking at? The battery cables are tight, and since it's a new battery, that problem is solved.

Any suggestions?:hmm:

·
Registered
305 Posts
caddydaddy said:
I've been having starter problems on my '94 Devilles 4.9. Once in a while, I will turn the key and only hear the click of the solenoid. On the next attempt it will fire right up. The starter is a rebuilt one from Autozone and over a year old. Yesterday, the starter refused to engage at all! I was having battery problems, but now have a new battery, but the intermittent starter problem still exists. I did get it started yesterday, but this morning when I turned the key, all I heard was the click of the solenoid again. I turned the key again, and it fired up.
Now my question is, should I just be assuming the cheap rebuilt starter from Autozone is to blame? Or is there something else I should be looking at? The battery cables are tight, and since it's a new battery, that problem is solved.
Any suggestions?:hmm:
Old cables, contacts, grounds. Starter does not get enough ampers to start. Cold weather makes it even harder for starter. If you put a direct jumper from the battery positive terminal to the solenoid's positive you'll be able to start. You will need 3/8" nut to secure the junper. Be careful, disconect the battery before making any work on the starter. But be aware that some relays will be bypassed that way (neutral safety, starter enable). If only you drive the car it is OK, otherwise some one can strt in gear and get in trouble.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll check the starter wires and see if they are corroded. They weren't a year ago when I replaced the starter, but it's a possibility!

·
Registered
305 Posts
caddydaddy said:
Thanks! I'll check the starter wires and see if they are corroded. They weren't a year ago when I replaced the starter, but it's a possibility!
They may look good... I would disconnect all the connections on the starter and the ground on the engine block right by the starter, clean them up, cover with special grease, reconnect. Do it before it is too cold or too late. I hate working on my car in the winter even for 5 minutes since my fingers freeze so fast...

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
caddydaddy said:
The starter is a rebuilt one from Autozone....
Their rep on rebuilts is abominable. I guess it has a "lifetime warranty". How valuable is that in East Hockaloogie at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night in the rain?

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I have a 93 Deville (4.9L) and had the exact same problem you do. They symptoms you describe are exactly the same symptoms I had.

Battery was nice and strong.

I replaced the starter *twice*.

I even suspected the neutral-safety-backup-switch. I bypassed that.

Turns out the battery connector on the cable was corroded inside the sheath. You can't tell unless you rip it apart. Solution was simple - took it to a buffing machine and make it nice and shiny and do a similar thing on the battery terminal.

However, the problem came back some time later. Temporary solution was to rotate the connector a little bit where it attaches to the battery by whacking on the cable-end of the connector with something. Permanent solution is to replace the entire dang cable. Unfortunately, it's a dealer-only part. Better to spend the $60 or so than to get stranded.

·
Registered
305 Posts
"Unfortunately, it's a dealer-only part. Better to spend the $60 or so than to get stranded."

I would approach a dealer, ask for part number and order from gmpartsdirect.com, rockauto.com etc at the half of the price.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks for the tips! I'll see if I can inspect the battery cables a bit more and see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
adalla said:
"Unfortunately, it's a dealer-only part. Better to spend the $60 or so than to get stranded."
I would approach a dealer, ask for part number and order from gmpartsdirect.com, rockauto.com etc at the half of the price.
Yes! Precisely!

·
Registered
305 Posts
thu said:
Yes, it was the positive cable.
I am wandering now what if I have had the same type of hidden corrosion? I never had any battery leak though and both the connector and the battery terminal look perfectly dry and clean.

Did you have a leak by the terminal?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
adalla said:
I am wandering now what if I have had the same type of hidden corrosion? I never had any battery leak though and both the connector and the battery terminal look perfectly dry and clean.
Did you have a leak by the terminal?
Thanks
I didn't have a battery leak as far as I could tell. My batteries have always been in good, clean condition. The car is 12 years old and I'm sure enough corrosive fumes have attacked that cable over time.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I changed the starter, but now I have another problem! I've been having a problem with the battery voltage on my '94 Deville. The voltage would spike above 16, then go back down for a while, then spike back up. I blew a pair of Silverstar headlamp highbeam bulbs last night, so I had to replace those!
I figured it was the voltage regulator in the alternator going bad, so I replaced the alternator with a new one. Now I am still having the same problem! When this happened with the original alternator, the DIC would display "Battery Voltage High". Now it will display that as well as an occasional "Battery No Charge" message. So I'm not sure if there's a loose connection causing that, but what would be causing the battery volts to be too high?
I'm not sure what to do now? I'm thinking the battery is bad??? It's only a month old though. I read in the service manual about the battery cable connection to the starter could be a cause of intermittent voltage problem. I had installed a new starter yesterday, so I'm thinking of checking to make sure the cable is tight.
Anything else I should look into?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
adalla said:
Thanks thu,
I am going to cut the insulation and look at the wires inside despite it looks perfect.
No problemo!

Yes, my cable looks perfect too, but peeling away the red sheath shows a different story.

Just note that if you get stranded by the click-no-start condition, one thing that has worked for me on occasion is to rotate the postive battery connector at the batt terminal. What that does is break up the corrosion between the cable connector and the face of the batt terminal. I keep a small hammer or a block of wood in my trunk just for this purpose. I don't hit the terminal directly (that could damage the battery), but off to the side so that the connector rotates about the batt terminal. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
305 Posts
thu said:
No problemo!
Yes, my cable looks perfect too, but peeling away the red sheath shows a different story.
Just note that if you get stranded by the click-no-start condition, one thing that has worked for me on occasion is to rotate the postive battery connector at the batt terminal. What that does is break up the corrosion between the cable connector and the face of the batt terminal. I keep a small hammer or a block of wood in my trunk just for this purpose. I don't hit the terminal directly (that could damage the battery), but off to the side so that the connector rotates about the batt terminal. Works like a charm.
thu,
I had "click no start" condition two yeras ago (24 months ago!). Could not start the engine in a cold November morning to drive to airport! Fortunately, i had a piece of wire at home. As a temporary solution I sent a jumper directly from the battery positive terminal to the solenoid. It started right away. As you know there is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution... I drove like that for two years until "no start, no click when engine is hot" condition made me replace the starter with reman AC Delco one. I put a 4 gauge cable to the mounting bolt of the starter just in case. The "click no start" revisited again. Let me see what the autopsy will show. LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts