Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 fleetwood 4.9 is leaking oil from the timing cover area. Dealer says 4.5 hours to replace. Has anyone done their own. Is this a DYI job?
thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I am guessing the 4.9 develops the same oil leaks as the 4.5, personally it isn't a job I'd want to tackle. I had to have the timing cover and oil pan gaskets on my 90 deville replaced last year at 100,000 miles, as I would leak about 3-4 quarts of oil between oil changes. From what my mechanic showed me, It looked like some parts of the front end and drive axles among other things had to be dropped down in order to gain access to the timing cover. It looked like one hell of a job. Unless you have a lift and some solid background, I'd recommend leaving this one to the professionals.

Anyone else have comments?

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I expected. I took the inspection cover off and looked at it. There doesn't look to be enough room to remove the pulley off the crank. It appears the engine needs to be dropped or lifted up.
May be a better job to leave to a well equipped shop.
'91 Fleetwood.

CloneHappy said:
Since I am guessing the 4.9 develops the same oil leaks as the 4.5, personally it isn't a job I'd want to tackle. I had to have the timing cover and oil pan gaskets on my 90 deville replaced last year at 100,000 miles, as I would leak about 3-4 quarts of oil between oil changes. From what my mechanic showed me, It looked like some parts of the front end and drive axles among other things had to be dropped down in order to gain access to the timing cover. It looked like one hell of a job. Unless you have a lift and some solid background, I'd recommend leaving this one to the professionals.

Anyone else have comments?

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts