Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

I am confused about a few things, I do not own a cadillac YET ! But I have been looking at 1992 thru 1995 Seville's,, and the 2 door models. I've been reading about the engines and the cars as much as I can find on the web, and I have talked with my mechanic, ( who is a Chevy man ) My mechanic tell me to stay away from them ,, they are expensive to repair and do up keep on. The cars I would be able to afford in these 2 groups would be the cars of $ 5000. and under, which are the cars of 80,000 miles and up. The 92 Seville and Eldarado I have looked at are running the 4.9 liter Caddy engine. And the 1993 and up are running the 4.6 liter NorthStar engine. :confused:

Can anyone help me by giving me some good points and bad points of bother models,, and some views on both models ? This would help me make an informed decision when it comes time to finally buy and ride in comfort...

Any advise will be taken and read carefully,, and I'll be greatful for your imput... :worship:

Thank you in advance,,,

Don aka Dondo :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Well coming from a caddy owner on his first car. I'll tell you this GO WITH THE 4.9L
You will be more than happy with the performance and it will save you money. I have a 92 eldo and love it to death. My girlfriend thinks i spend more time with my car then her.
Your mechanic is right they are expensive to maintain. If you are a handy man you can buy a manual to do most of the work. Now just remember that the newer body style for the eldo was 92 and it was one of 2 years for the 4.9L. The base model 93 had it too. I picked mine up for 4k with 68k miles near mint. If I were to go back i wouldn't have chosen anything different. I am slowly ordering parts off of ebay to turn mine into a "newer" eldo b/c i don't want to deal with the north*
If you have any more ? just ask away your in good hands

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
If you could, go with a '96, it has the newer, and IMO much better interrior.....

in '92 all models had the 4.9, in '93 only the base models had the 4.9, I think '94 and up only had the N*, there were 3 models, SeVille, SLS and STS, as you got higher in trim, you get better options and extra stuff on the outside and inside of car, along with better suspension and stuff.....

....between the 2 engines..... it's a tought one, I have a 4.9 and love it.... only thing is, the aftermarket is 0, the N* dosn't have much either, but it has some..... since my car is really the only car I have ever drove, it is hard to say it is has alot of power... IMO the power is very good, and I can beat my friends '98 Jetta (2.0 4) with no problem at all.... there is just no more go-fast parts for it..... while the N* has an extra 100hp (tourqe is pretty much even)......although if you don't care to drive your luxury car as you would a 'vette, and find that the 4.9 has enough power (which is does) then it is a great engine, I have heard of alot of people going well into 200k and even 300k miles one. They are simple, old pushrod design which is nice too....only real "problems" with the 4.9 is that it needs premium gas, which dosn't bother me at all, and pretty much all of them have a rough idel, which dosn't bother me, but can get annoying sometimes...... still a nice engine....

....pretty much if you want alot of power and go fast, but spend more $$$ and (from what I have heard) less reliability, go with a NorthStar, anything else and get the 4.9....

...granted I had more money, my other choice of a car would have been a '96 STS....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dondo said:
:confused:

I am confused about a few things, I do not own a cadillac YET ! But I have been looking at 1992 thru 1995 Seville's,, and the 2 door models. I've been reading about the engines and the cars as much as I can find on the web, and I have talked with my mechanic, ( who is a Chevy man ) My mechanic tell me to stay away from them ,, they are expensive to repair and do up keep on. The cars I would be able to afford in these 2 groups would be the cars of $ 5000. and under, which are the cars of 80,000 miles and up. The 92 Seville and Eldarado I have looked at are running the 4.9 liter Caddy engine. And the 1993 and up are running the 4.6 liter NorthStar engine. :confused:

Can anyone help me by giving me some good points and bad points of bother models,, and some views on both models ? This would help me make an informed decision when it comes time to finally buy and ride in comfort...

Any advise will be taken and read carefully,, and I'll be greatful for your imput... :worship:

Thank you in advance,,,

Don aka Dondo :thumbsup:
Hi Dondo.
I'm going to give my opinion too. It's close to Josh's, we have the same car.
I can't tell you personally about the Northstar, I haven't owned 1 yet. But it has 100hp more than my 4.9 and is supposed to get a bit better mileage. But I've read some here and the concensus is that the maintenance has to be done, and done right, from the first day with these engines. And since you're looking at used cars, you'll never know how it was taken care of by previous owners. I don't even remember all the things the used car salesman lied to me about concerning my car. Anyway, I think your mechanic is thinking more of the Northstar.
I have a 92 Eldorado, 4.9. And from the few problems I've had, that all came with the car, I've noticed some common problems shared by people here. Suspension: Air struts that tend to leak with age. Outrageously expensive to replace at the dealership. But if you don't mind Discount Auto replacements no more expensive than any other car. Idle: Rough doesn't really describe it. It's more like not totally smooth. I never notice it. Seats: I know of 1 other member having the same problem. Seats backs that want to stay in the position they're in now. If you try to change the position, they get tired and lay down.
I found all my car's problems in the first week, and it's really minor stuff. If you compare what I paid to the price in 92, or even worse to the price of an 04, I can afford to put some repair money in the car.
I guess I'd say these are great cars. I wouldn't trade mine.
As for your mechanic, he's right. and wrong. Mechanics see cars the way Cops see people. They only deal with them when there's a problem. Of course he thinks they all need work.
If you can find an Eldo or Seville in nice shape, jump on it. And don't overlook the 89-91's either. You can find a decent 1 local. I've seen them, I live on the other side of the Bay from you.
Bob

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
A Northstar has 100HP more than a 4.9???
The truth about these two Cadillac engines is this;
1. The 4.9 had the lowest warranty claims of ANY GM produced engine in it's day. The Northstar could NEVER match that.
2. While the HP of the Northstar is a little better than the 4.9, the torque figures are damn near identical, and it's TORQUE that wins races, not horsepower. Horsepower is just a tool for selling cars. I'd take a 4.9 over a Northstar ANYDAY.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry Mr Donovan, didn't mean to upset you. I was trying to give a comparison having only owned half of the examples. And I keep reading here that the Northstar has 100hp more than my 4.9
I gave up worrying about race results when I sold my Skylark, so, I don't read many torque specs.
We were just trying to give some info to help someone try and decide whether to buy a Cadillac.
Bob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here's my story for what it's worth: My wife and I drive roomy, plushy, American 2-doors...except they don't make them anymore. We've had a 69 LeMans, 75 Cutlass, 80 Olds Royale Brougham, 86 Grand Marquis (last year the 2d RWD was made by Ford), and 85 GranMarque. When the latter failed inspection by a whisker at 111k miles and we went looking, about the only thing left (since we couldn't find a good RWD Tbird or Cougar) was the Eldo/MarkVII type of car. We wound up buying the most expensive car we'd ever bought which also had the highest miles of any car we'd ever bought!
I suffered buyer's remorse and snide comments from my spouse (who only said yes cuz she was sick of looking for cars) for several weeks while I dug into the Northstar oil leak problem, reliabilty problem, etc, etc, but here's the bottom line: We have a 94 Eldo (the first year they were all N*) that started out with 121k (now about 125). The body is rust-free, the undercarriage is not bad, the interior also has 121k on it but leather is a wonderful material. The engine starts and runs and rumbles when you step hard on the gas. It throws no codes, it drips a little oil. It is a fantastic driver!! You can easily torch most of the ricers, many of the mustangs, and several of the beemer 3s and 5s. I have seen a N* Eldo (95, I think) on Ebay with something like 270k on it and have read several reports of 175 to 200+ k miles. My motto is, buy good used cars, keep them fixed and drive them into the ground. Saves the environment, keeps the local mechanics employed, keeps the money out of the hands of the ins cos. and tax collectors! Guess I have to admit it's kind of fun to say, "I think I'll take the Caddy!"

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
well, the extra 100hp from a N* must count for something....being that N* powered cars are usually 1 full second quicker in the 1/4 then 4.9 powered cars.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all

:worship:
I want to thank all of you who responded to my question,, I will admit, I'm still a little confused, but I have learnt from you all that the N* leaks a little oil, and has 100 more horsepower. As an old Jeep owner (years ago ) and an old motor cycle rider ( also from years ago ) a little oil leaking from the bottom of a car what has up towards 80,000 + miles to me is no big deal,, I now have a 1987 Ford Crown Vic,, with 145,000 miles,, and leaks oil. So like I say if I were to find a good deal, in a Seville or Eldarado and its not all torn up, I could stand doing repairs one at a time. I guess the main thing I will be looking for is good gas mileage,, and comfortable ride. I did look at a 1992 Eldarado with the 4.9 ,, the seller was asking $3999. The thing that turned me off from it was none of the power windows worked,, and it wasn't a fuse,, I got to spend a little time,, and checked the fuse and that was not the problem. I just spent $180. to have the drivers window motor in my Crown Vic replaced,, and really do not care to buy a car with repairs needed as soon as I drive off the lot,, just to have something work..

But I want to thank you all,,,, for your imput. I look forward to posting on this site in the future,,, and getting to call upon all of you if I have further questions !

Don AkA Dondo :worship: :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
ive only test drove a beat up 92 4.9 eldo and a 93 and 94 sts. i first test drove the STS's, and was happy with the get up, from a role they fly. off the line there good too. when i was about to testdrive the 4.9 i was thinking it would be a dog, being 100hp less. i was really suprised, that thing pulled good from a stop, never got it above 50 but it was definatly a quick car. i think were the northstar outshines the 4.9 in performance is on the highway. 4.9 seemed like more like a brute force, were the northstars were smooth but very fast, maybe it was the cars i drove.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned Caddy's all my life - my latest acquisition is a 96 Seville SLS with the Northstar with 49000miles Mint condition.

Before this car, I ran Fleetwoods with the 5.0 liter V-8. Had 3 of them over a period of 20 years.

Maybe I am lucky, but the worst engine repair I ever had to deal with was a water pump... Never had any other problems..

Change the oil, filters and lube every 3000 miles -religion - no matter what car u drive.

I don't pay attention to torque or HP.. I am not a drag racer and I rarely take the engine over 3000 rpm..

If you don't beat the horse, it will provide you with a long,long ride.

And you cannot beat the ride of a Caddy.

yes - when they do break they are more expensive than othercars, but their parts are heavy-duty and are built to last.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own both a N* and a 4.9, my 4.9 92k miles and has a 125 shot on it and is still running strong without any problems. As for my northstar, it went through 2 starters this past summer. The dealer couldnt figure out why they went bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
semiauto said:
I own both a N* and a 4.9, my 4.9 92k miles and has a 125 shot on it and is still running strong without any problems. As for my northstar, it went through 2 starters this past summer. The dealer couldnt figure out why they went bad.
love the 4.9..... only huge problem is most of them, the injectors go bad. Ive owned 2 seperate 92 sevilles, both had injector problems. But, Replace and go! Solid engine! Other things to look for... the pass key is known to malfunction,the wires in the steering column that read the impedance of the key snap. I think the 4.9 is better, but not as good MPG or high end power.

·
Registered
37 Posts
200k on mine and it is still strong as hell. It doesn't even leak oil.

With any car it is all about how you take care of it. The main thing is that all engines need oil and coolant, period. It's the life line of the engine. I don't care what it is, without oil or coolant it won't make it far.

If you keep on top of those things I'm sure you can easily go over 200K.

·
Registered
1981 CoupeDeville, 1990 Eldorado, 1994ETC(RIP)
1,093 Posts
I have driven both 4.9 and N* the diference that i noticed was the 4.9 pulls hard and then when it hits a point the power falls off. I have yet to hit that point w/ a N* it just keeps pulling.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
I have owned both(92 Eldorado and 98 ETC), and I would go with a N*. Much nicer running engine in every way. Never had a problem with my 4.9L, but the refinement and top end of the N* blows it away.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I like my pushrods. I also have no lack of power in the "top end" when I have to pass two semi's on the highway, etc. It's reliable, and it is a brute force. I like most of my power down low, where I can feel it in the pit of my stomach when I showing a ricer who the big boy on the block is. :p Plus, I want torque to zip across those intersections safely.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
ive found the 4.9 to be a more "do it yourself" freindly engine , the northstar devilles ive poked around arent .

i use a few stanrds when jugeing betwen engines and cars .

changing the starter , how hard does that look.
water pump and thermostat , how hard does that look ,i like the north stars pump acess beatter
alternators , bout a dead heat here
spark plugs , north star looked easier to me on this one
think of things youve had to work on on every car you have owned , indenitfy those parts and see how hard it would be to replace them , most of the time the 4.9 looks far easier to work on and understand , esp when you look at the starters .

also a good measure is to comapre parts prices , whats a starter cost for one ? the other ? how much are rebuilt engines ? think back on parts replaced on other cars obr the yaers , how much do they cost for each engine ?

one thing about boath(and most caddys) is the ease to be able to diagnose them for problems , no scan tool or paper clip needed , just a code and data list and your fingers

side note , i own a 4.9 car , but knowing the northstar is out there leaves me longing for more . gonna test trive a eldo sometime to see how it stacks up (if gas prices ever stabilize)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both are good engine's really no difference except the northstar engine is designed to be raced and driven to the limit. If u do the maintance u shouldn't have any problems with either engine. Oh and the 4.9 even though it's not a northstar is a very capable cadillac engine (dont sleep on it) with plenty of thrust, it just wasn't designed for a heavy foot. When need be the 4.9 is up to any challange, still a faster and better engine than most todate.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Katshot said:
A Northstar has 100HP more than a 4.9???
The truth about these two Cadillac engines is this;
1. The 4.9 had the lowest warranty claims of ANY GM produced engine in it's day. The Northstar could NEVER match that.
2. While the HP of the Northstar is a little better than the 4.9, the torque figures are damn near identical, and it's TORQUE that wins races, not horsepower. Horsepower is just a tool for selling cars. I'd take a 4.9 over a Northstar ANYDAY.
You keep your 4.9 it's a very good engine, I use to own one, but it's not even in the same league as a Northstar when it comes to performance. My '96 has 89k now, doesn't need oil between changes, which are done as the moniter says to.(it will drop about a qt in 3000 miles) Stock for stock the Northstar is a better motor. Torque may win hole shots, but horsepower wins most races, if not NASCAR teams would build slow revving torque motors with tall gears instead of turning them 9500rpm!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts