Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do 4.9 engines run as far as mileage? I've heard anywhere between 200k to more than 300k mi. Do the trannies live as long as the engines or one seems to be stronger than the other?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Most of the time, the tranny will not last as long as the engine..... Usually you will go through 2 trannys per engine, assuming good, to perfect maintenance...... Thats not to say you could get a good one, or a bad engine!!!

I would say 300k wouldnt be unreasonable, assuming everything was done timely, and perfect.......

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I've got a '93 DeVille. It has 248K miles. :bouncy: Original engine, original tranny. It used to leak a ton of oil :disappoin until I replaced the lower oil cooler hose. It used to leak a ton of tranny fluid :annoyed: until the cover bolts on the left side of the tranny in the engine bay was tightened up. Now I enjoy a dry driveway! :banana: I take it up to the speed limiter every now and then. :burn:

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
If there's a Cadillac engine that should go 'til 300K, it's the 4.9 for sure. That said, I sure wouldn't put money on ANY Cadillac engine hitting 300K miles without a whole lot of TLC, luck, and highway-driven miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thu said:
I've got a '93 DeVille. It has 248K miles. :bouncy: Original engine, original tranny. It used to leak a ton of oil :disappoin until I replaced the lower oil cooler hose. It used to leak a ton of tranny fluid :annoyed: until the cover bolts on the left side of the tranny in the engine bay was tightened up. Now I enjoy a dry driveway! :banana: I take it up to the speed limiter every now and then. :burn:

Cheers,
T

I have the analog speedo so I wouldn't know how fast I'm going past 85mph; how fast is your car going when it hits the governor? Just curious how fast these devilles are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
blkchrry92dvl said:
I have the analog speedo so I wouldn't know how fast I'm going past 85mph; how fast is your car going when it hits the governor? Just curious how fast these devilles are.
i can answer that question for you,i have a 93 cherry coupe with a full white rag,and a 92 eldo,both same engine,about 20,000 miles difference,the eldo reads to 140,but the gov.hits at 130(aggrivating!)upon my strict,high-speed tests,(interstate-3 A.M.)the coupe will do about 120 before the gov.hits(side to side with cell phones)i had often wondered that myself,so that was my solution.watch out for the tranny though,and if you haven't already,put an external trans cooler on it to prolong the life of it,expecially if you hot rod it,oh and more useless info,the coupe will murder an eldo with the same engine,more fiberglass less metal.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
4.9 will go 300,000 with no problem. All you have to do is maintain it like it was designed to be maintained. The Northstar will easily do the same with the same type of care. I have a lot of experience with high mileage Cadillacs and they are solid motors despite some minor if irritating problems with a realitivly small number of them. Elwesso was right in saying that you'll see about two trannies to one engine just about like clockwork.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My 4.9 Deville (1993) is at 298,000 miles. Speed limiter is set at 110MPH. I hit it every now and again.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
holy thread from the dead batman!

got pics of the 300k '93? :)

I've got 110k on the '93... I trust the 4.9 to go as long as I keep maintaining it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sorry, I don't got pics.

It's been sitting outside for a couple of months, so it looks dirty, but the paint is almost perfect (just a couple of small chips in the driver's door) and the interior is in excellent shape.

The tranny went a month ago. I think all I have to do to get her back on the road again is to flush the tranny to get the coolant out of it and replace the radiator. Looking at maybe $200 to do all that.

Engine runs just fine, doesn't leak or burn oil.

As for your 110k miles '93, just make sure to keep that coolant fresh. Change it every year or the insides will corrode and you won't know it.

This tranny is the original. I'm looking to sell it for the price of the tires since I just put on a new set of Toyos.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
wow thats amazing for a 4.9! Do you have the main bearing thump? I thought my co worker's 91 CDV w/ 196k was impressive! I have 111,600 on my '92 SDV

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
the coupe will murder an eldo with the same engine,more fiberglass less metal.

Thats awesome! I often wondered who would win between me and a friends '92 Eldorado Touring Coupe! Now i know.

·
Registered
1987 D'Elegance 4.1L 1993 Eldo 4.9L 1993 STS 4.6L N* Z rated
170 Posts
My '93 Eldo 4.9 has 185,000 on it, second transmission. Still goes like a bat outta hell. Coolant supplements and Rotella.

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
My (Avatar) 1991 Seville (RIP) was running strong the day I gave it away. Engine had 153K when the transmission retired. I had just done a compression leak down test about three weeks before the transmission let go. I was very tempted to rebuild the transmission only because the engine was still rock solid. After pricing the parts and estimating the labor, I decided it was not worth my time. Had the engine and transmission not been transverse, I would still be driving the car today.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
wow thats amazing for a 4.9! Do you have the main bearing thump? I thought my co worker's 91 CDV w/ 196k was impressive! I have 111,600 on my '92 SDV
The cool thing is that the engine shows no signs whatsoever of letting up. The tranny is the thing that let me down. Doesn't burn or leak oil (but the oil cooler hoses need to be replaced).

I used to have a light bearing thump. I don't know what made it go away. I use Mobil One oil, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

My 85 Deville had the bearing thump in spades.

Just make sure you change the coolant often so nothing rots out. Do that and the other maintenance items and maybe you'll get to 298k, too! I fell 2,000 miles short of 300k when the tranny went.

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
My car's got 192k on the clock and I've driven it like a madman since I got it. 100mph runs are the norm for my car, it's unusual that I don't bury the needle at least once every time I drive.

The transmission doesn't show any signs of letting go, and it's in need of a fluid change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts