Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Well, I'm going to be digging into my 93 DeVille this weekend, and I'd like to see if anyone has a little info for me. I've got a blown headgasket, and will be getting started on replacing both headgaskets on Saturday. My biggest question is are the head bolts "torque to yield" or can they be re-used? Does anyone have Torque specs for the head, intake, and exhaust manifold bolts? Are there any specific things that I can do to make this job a little easier? Short of taking it to my local dealer (they quoted me $2300 parts and labor :crying2: :bighead: ).

I know I'm still pretty new to the board, but I want to keep this old boat running so I can keep hangin around.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I can be reached via e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
All The Head Bolts Are Torque To Yield. Must Replace All Head Bolts, Do Not Reuse. Also I Would Strongly Recommend A Factory Service Manual Be Borrowed/bought Before Repairs Begin. Dont Know Your Level Of Expertise But I Dont Work On Any Engine Without Reference Material For Procedures And Torque Specs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I bought a Haynes manual on Saturday before tearing into it, and you're right a little reference material goes a long way. Hopefully have everything up and running again by mid-week. Gotta buy some parts.

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Bah!!!

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
The head bolts are not torque-to-yield; the Northstar bolts are. The 4.9 liter head bolts can be re-used so as long as they're not visibly damaged.

Fine-Wine, where in Central Ohio do you live? Let me know and I might be able to give a hand.

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
Mark the distributor before pulling it out, just take a pen marker and mark the direction of rotor on the rotor and manifold. THE GEARS HAVE TO GO INTO THE SAME POSITION!!!!!! DO NOT TURN ROTOR WHEN DISTRIBUTOR IS OUT! Everything has to be torqued when putting gaskets in, the intake gaskets might leak a little until engine will be warmed up because they have to settle. I almost had a heart attack when i saw air bubbles on my 85 fleet under valve cover through the oil cap hole. But they are gone now and everything is fine.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,731 Posts
Yeah, I'd never re-use head bolts either! Too much is relying on them to go cheap!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts