Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SoI am going to fix my head gaskets, the car is just too beautiful and in good of shape not too. Too many upgrades and everything works except the a/c which is just the a/c computer(module) in the dash. Just want some advice and some answers to some unknowns.

First I am to assume I will have to remove the timing cover for this job? Also is it as simple as taking the rocker arms loose and just tourging them back down? I read that there is no valve adjustment on the 4.9 engine. I have done more than I care to count hg jobs on 3.1 and 3.4 and that's all you do with them. Book time is 10 hours and I feel confident I can beat that with ease. But are there any known hang ups or head scratchers I should know about prior?

Thanks in advance for any advice. STS.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
No need to remove the timing cover.

When you remove the rockers, remove the entire bar they are mounted to - do not remove the rockers from the bars. They are installed with self tappers, making a very strong connection, but the integrity is destroyed once removed and you risk stripping the aluminum bar.

No adjustment. Torque the bars to spec and that's it.

Once the heads are off, be careful around the exposed cylinder liners. Disturb them too much, and you could compromise the orings underneath.

You will need to drill and helicoil the head bolt holes in the aluminum block - M12x1.75 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS & 1991 Sedan Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow drill and helicoil every single head bolt??? So this isn't just a simple pull off clean, machine put back together? I just assumed I could change the head bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts