Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody Done or Had to replace the Head gasket
on the 4.9 Eng. and repair the threads on the block (aluminum)
I'm doing mine's and I'm having hard time, I've done the first
head (front) but the back one ther is not much space to drill
the holes, if any one has had the expirience please advice.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
I have never tried it in the car. Always had the engine out.
The engine MUST be out of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So that means I have to take the Eng. out!!.. and when you guys did it do you repair only the bad ones or all of them. I'm using helicoil or shuold I use Time-serts ??? and also on the outer bolts are longer and the kit that I bought the tap is not as long and a socket won't fit in the Block's hole did you had to enlarge it?? to drive the tap please advice.

Thank you guys for your time again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Doing it in the car would be nearly impossible for the rear bank!!

We only recommend using the Time Serts...... And you should replace ALL bolts, since you dont want to do this again!!!

Besides, with the engine out, its a great time to do ardous tasks like plugs, hoses, etc.......

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
chavo said:
So that means I have to take the Eng. out!!.. and when you guys did it do you repair only the bad ones or all of them. I'm using helicoil or shuold I use Time-serts ??? and also on the outer bolts are longer and the kit that I bought the tap is not as long and a socket won't fit in the Block's hole did you had to enlarge it?? to drive the tap please advice.

Thank you guys for your time again!!!!!!!

Use TimeSerts or you will find yourself doing the job again real soon. HeliCoils are NOT repeat NOT strong enough!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the Time-Sert kit, are the tap and all the staff long enough to or do I need to enlarge the holes to drive them in. And one last thing I've seen the Picture of El Dorado 4.9 Eng. where is taken through the bottom is that the only way 'cus I don't have a hoist or does it comes out through the top.and this is still cheaper then buying a block$$$

Thanks again This forum rocks

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
I posted this on another thread also.
I'm looking for some info from anyone who has changed head gaskets on a 4.6 Northstar.
I've looked at a lot of posts and still have a few questions.

My brother has a 94 SLS with 135,000 miles. It started overheating and we are sure a head gasket is going (chemical test shows exhaust in antifreeze). It still runs good until it starts to overheat. I am fairly experienced and have a good supply of tools but no lift. We will get the service manual first. We will timesert the block.

Has anyone timeserted the block in the car?

Has anyone pulled the engine out the top? This looks a lot more involved than dropping the cradle.

If you've dropped the cradle how did you get the cradle out from under the body? The body has to be lifted pretty high.

Any other tips or advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You CANNOT timesert the engine on the car....... It would be IMPOSSIBLE to do the rear..........

I dont think you can take the engine out the top..... Most people like to drop the engine and tranny as a unit, instead of unhooking them......

Do a search, eehoepp posted a very good write up on how to do it!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible to get the Engine out from the to (92 Seville STS-4.9L)
and I thing is realy easy with the heads out the way all I did is remove
the starter,flywheel bolts (3),front Eng. mount nuts,trans bolts (5).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new guy here, great forum.

I just got my '96 ETC out of the local Cadillac dealership (only 76,000 miles on it, still a baby) $3558. dollars later. Head gaskets of course.. First caddy I ever owned that couldn't make it 80,000 miles. I had an 85 that got over 300k without coming apart and we all know how bad those engines were. We bought the car in August in mint condition and it's previous owner took meticulous care of the car.

My understanding from the forum is that time sert is the right way to go with the new head bolts? Why would Caddillac use heli-coils if they don't hold? That's what they used.

Its bad enough have to eat the cost of an obvious engineering flaw without so much as we're sorry. It's my wife's car and she isn't very patient about fixing anything twice.

Any clues why Cadillac would use a process that may or may not work?

We put two hundred miles on the car and now it backfires when you start it.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Because its much too costly to change the design... If they can tweak it to last the warranty, thats all they really care about!!!!

Joe..... Why dont you start a new thread about your backfiring!!!! :thumbsup: ....... And, welcome to the forums..... Thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
21 Posts
did my rears with 2 drill bits one short to start and one long to finish with a angle drill also used heli coils which everyone says dont work I used two on each thread and it has held up fine i have put 15000 hard miles on it since

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts