Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there are any worthwile upgrades to the caddy FI system? I just got this car, and based on a power balance test I just did I've got about 3 or 4 good injectors left in the car. :banghead: I wanted to know if anyone has tried bigger injectors or an adjustable preassure regulator with these caddy motors. Thanks a million.

D.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
HippieD9 said:
Can anyone tell me if there are any worthwile upgrades to the caddy FI system? I just got this car, and based on a power balance test I just did I've got about 3 or 4 good injectors left in the car. :banghead: I wanted to know if anyone has tried bigger injectors or an adjustable preassure regulator with these caddy motors. Thanks a million.

D.
I know people put camaro FI in there and they make a little bit of a differeence

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to replace the whole system... This things my daily driver(I'm building a 383 for my 86 Monte Carlo right now), but I can never resist screwing with my cars. I had an 87 deville a few years ago that was pretty quick (low 14's) but that was TBI. I'm wondering about bigger injectors (if they're even made) and an adjustable press. regulator. I don't know if they'd be worth the $$ or if the computer would compensate and cut flow to em.

:bighead:
-GRRRR- as much as I love fuel injection, right now I'd kill for a carb :)

D.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
HippieD9 said:
I'm not looking to replace the whole system... This things my daily driver(I'm building a 383 for my 86 Monte Carlo right now), but I can never resist screwing with my cars. I had an 87 deville a few years ago that was pretty quick (low 14's) but that was TBI. I'm wondering about bigger injectors (if they're even made) and an adjustable press. regulator. I don't know if they'd be worth the $$ or if the computer would compensate and cut flow to em.

:bighead:
-GRRRR- as much as I love fuel injection, right now I'd kill for a carb :)

D.
The 4.9 uses 18 and the camaro uses 19 injectors

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh, ok. Sorry, I'm feeling a bit, um, *slow* today :cheers:
Any idea about the regulator? I've always wondered what these engines could do if the stock caddy cpu wasn't holding em back.
D.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
HippieD9 said:
Ahhh, ok. Sorry, I'm feeling a bit, um, *slow* today :cheers:
Any idea about the regulator? I've always wondered what these engines could do if the stock caddy cpu wasn't holding em back.
D.
no clue on that one, but i do know that you can get a chip on them and they make a big difference and are worth the cash to some.

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
Ed Wright says to me:

With the chip installed the 4.9L should pick up 13/15hp. The top speed fuel cut-off is removed also. You will need to use min 91 octane fuel also. All other functions will remain unchanged.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
vanaisa said:
Ed Wright says to me:

With the chip installed the 4.9L should pick up 13/15hp. The top speed fuel cut-off is removed also. You will need to use min 91 octane fuel also. All other functions will remain unchanged.

any clue on the price for the chip???

·
Registered
730 Posts
JJHomer... the '87 your spoke of that ran low 14s...... that's the 4.5, right? what in the world did you do to it to get it to run low 14s? that's running with a northstar....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
LacSeville said:
JJHomer... the '87 your spoke of that ran low 14s...... that's the 4.5, right? what in the world did you do to it to get it to run low 14s? that's running with a northstar....
never had an 87 caddy had an 87 cutlass 442 you lost me on that one??

·
Registered
37 Posts
LacSeville said:
HippieD9 said his 87 Deville ran low 14's. I find that hard to believe. I'm wondering what mods did he do to achieve that?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
92_Deville_on_20's said:
HippieD9 said his 87 Deville ran low 14's. I find that hard to believe. I'm wondering what mods did he do to achieve that?
Well i can give you some insight on that by guessing. Took out the interior, body panels, put slicks on, chip, CAI, exhaust. that would get it down close.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It started life as a 4.1.... Dropped in a 4.9 block, machined (ported, 5-angle valve job, milled to 10.25:1 compression) allante heads, machined TBI intake, throttle body spacer w/overbored throttle body, 235/60 15 radial ta tires, larger injectors, custom bent 2 1/2 inch exhaust, accel ignition & box, open element air cleaner, 160 degree thermostat. Think thats about it. BTW it was about 40 degrees outside when I did run that low 14 time, so that probably helped quite a bit. Normally it ran around 14.6-14.9.
D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts