Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Cadillac Seville 4.5L V8. The engine block has sprung a leak, not at the cylinder head but actual holes in the aluminum block. Is this a known problem and is there a known cure? I have the engine out of the car and have cleaned the holes (making them bigger) and I am attempting to fill them and the surrounding area with J.B. Weld (Didn't think duct tape would be sufficient).
I hope someone can help
Gareth

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This is pretty common on any engine type. Important to know, since in a car, it can be pretty hard to see where the coolant is coming from. Use a bolt and some teflon, or JB Weld. Since this happened to multiple bolt holes, check the block! There is a possibility something else cracked.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
sandown01 said:
I have a 1989 Cadillac Seville 4.5L V8. The engine block has sprung a leak, not at the cylinder head but actual holes in the aluminum block. Is this a known problem and is there a known cure? I have the engine out of the car and have cleaned the holes (making them bigger) and I am attempting to fill them and the surrounding area with J.B. Weld (Didn't think duct tape would be sufficient).
I hope someone can help
Gareth
Are you saying that your block actually has holes corroded in it :eek: If it does the only cure is to get another block.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are these holes porosity in the casting (which is addressed by the service manual) or caused by corrosion? Were the coolant system corrosion inhibiters used?

On what part of the block are the holes appearing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ckucia said:
Are these holes porosity in the casting (which is addressed by the service manual) or caused by corrosion? Were the coolant system corrosion inhibiters used?

On what part of the block are the holes appearing?
Reply:-
The holes appear to be from corrosion, they are all at the transmission end of the engine (both sides of the engine). I have only recently purchased the vehicle and therefore I don’t know if coolant corrosion inhibiters were used. What are coolant corrosion inhibitors, are they not automatically in the coolant you buy from an auto parts store?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry for mistyping. The coolant supplement tabs aren't corrosion inhibitors, just sealing supplements. However, most people who don't know about the supplement tabs also don't know to regularly change the coolant as the corrosion-inhibitors deplete over time. Aluminum engines are particularly susceptable to this.

If your holes are in the part of the engine where coolant is, then failure to regularly change the coolant may be the cause. If its in the crankcase, then its likely something else, perhaps a casting flaw of some sort. Honestly, I've never heard of the corrosion being so severe that it caused holes in the outside of the block. Usually it results in blown head gaskets well before that, but I suppose if the engine were abused, or sat for a long time, especially in a warm climate, the corrosion would eventually take its toll.

I have an engine I rebuilt that sat for a long time, but it didn't damage the aluminum, only left slight marks on the cast iron cylinder liners. I don't know how long it sat though.

I guess the real issue though, is can you fix it? I guess the biggest concern is how this might affect the engine's structure. Have you taken the rest of the engine apart? Personally, I'd pull the intake and the heads to get a good look inside the cylinder banks. That's where you may find more damage than is visible from the outside. It might not be worth fixing, even if you can patch the holes successfully.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Acutually, this is usually caused by cracks. Tapping the holes at the factory naturally creates stress risers, which are usually the first things to crack on an engine when the coolant freezes. Luckily, they are easy to fix, as long as nothing else cracked....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
DaveSmed