Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new!

Anyone know how much a water pump on a `90 FWD Fleetwood 4.5 costs?
My friend says its an easy install.. but hes know to be a bit crazy. Is it easy? Pull the block? Any information is appreciated.

-Moses

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, well I went to Checker, and a new one was about $75, and a reman was about $35.

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
It shouldn't be too expensive to fix...was my thinking on this problem when I had it. I basically was forced to do this as I would not trust myself to complete the job flawlessly, and because my dad refuses to help me work on "an engine this big (4.9)".

·
Registered
1993 Sixty Special, 1991 Allante
138 Posts
I was told by my mechanic to hope my water pump never went out on my '93 Sixty Special with the 4.9 because he said it would be an all-day job and would cost me $500!! Was he bullshitting me???? :disappoin

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Maybe it is just differences in mechanics, but I paid way under that...as in hundreds less.

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
I took mine into the dealer to fix. It cost me in the $500-600Cdn. :(
I wish I knew how to do this mechanics stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The waterpump on the 4.5, is not to deep. There are only a few things that need to be removed. The bolts surrounding it are many, and different types. I'll try to take a pic when I get home, w/ my girlfriends new digital camera. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just purchased (2 days ago) a 1989 fleetwood,and today something happened and water and anti freeze went all over, I was told either it was the water pump or a cracked block!!! Does any one know if there is a way to tell? any comments or sugestions would be so appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
shigirl42 said:
I have just purchased (2 days ago) a 1989 fleetwood,and today something happened and water and anti freeze went all over, I was told either it was the water pump or a cracked block!!! Does any one know if there is a way to tell? any comments or sugestions would be so appreciated!!!
Have someone pressurize the cooling system with a coolant system pressure tester (a hand pump that attaches at the pressure cap fitting and pressurizes the system) and look for leaks....simple and easy. No reason at all to guess. You can find the tool at most auto parts stores or tool rental shops or any competent repair shop or radiator shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you!! Will that tell me if it is just the water pump or will it tell me there is a cracked block? Has any one else had this go wrong with a 89 fleetwood?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have a 4.9 and changes my waterpump remanufactured it cost me about 85 bucks without labor, and had a friend install it, it took 1 1/2 hour to get it in. good luck isnt a big ordeal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you!!! i will have a mechanic look at it tomorrow and hope for the best!!!! I will keep looking through this forum it is very intresting!!! Will let you know what happens with it!! Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts