Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to bypass a big bill at the auto repair garage by changing my oil pan gasket myself. It leaves a little puddle of oil every time I drive it. I tried removing it by myself and followed the procedure in the repair manual. After I removed the bolts from the pan, I noticed that the pan would'nt come off. I then tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, and still nothing. There is hardly any room to pry it off, and It is sealed on there pretty tight.

One shop told me that they would have to lift the engine up before removing the oil pan, but the manual didn't say anything about that.

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to get that thing off of there?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
IN my FSM, there is a special tool used to break the seal in between the block and the gasket/pan.... You might be able to rent one.....

It looks like a putty knife bent at a 90* angle...... WIth metal block on one side to allow you to hit it with a hammer!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
IN my FSM, there is a special tool used to break the seal in between the block and the gasket/pan.... You might be able to rent one.....

It looks like a putty knife bent at a 90* angle...... WIth metal block on one side to allow you to hit it with a hammer!

Thanks for the info, Elwesso! That should help a great deal. I am going to o look around for a tool like that today. I tell you how it goes. :) That sounds like it would work pretty well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It helped? I have a similar problem. I've already cut off the exhaust. I've got it almost out, but it always sticks to the flywheel cover and doesn't go out.
Is there some video tutorial somewhere? I found nothing :-(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
sallygreen