Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question about my 89 Eldo...

My car will run at 180 degrees all day on the highway... If i get OFF the highway, It slowly climbs, i've seen it go as high as 225... I know that it is really this high, i used a real temp gauge to verify the accuracy..

I know 225 isn't technically "overheating", but it scares me. I just replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, flushed the system and it still does the same thing...

Is this normal? Am I worrying myself? or is there something else I should check..

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Have you checked to see if the cooling fans are working? The module that controls them is a pretty common failure item on these years of Cads. Try turning on the A/C when the engine is warm - both fans should run.

Also check trouble codes, be watching for an F41.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fans work fine, I usually drive around with the a/c on anyway... Today i drove around and the highest i saw was 213...

I know its not crazy hot, but it still worries me and i want to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
It might be fine. When you get off the highway and stop by a lite in the summer time the temp. will go up really fast. The fans should strat at about 225 and bring it down to 212.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be fine. When you get off the highway and stop by a lite in the summer time the temp. will go up really fast. The fans should strat at about 225 and bring it down to 212.
Here's what gets me though.. I drive around with the a/c on, and both fans are running.. I still see it get up to 225 sometimes...

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
Here's what gets me though.. I drive around with the a/c on, and both fans are running.. I still see it get up to 225 sometimes...
Can't comment on this one...my AC has been out from the day one ( I bought it used).

·
Registered
1990 sedan deville
9 Posts
check the a/c condensor to see of the cooling fins are blocked with bugs and gravel, those are common causes and if they are go to a car wash or in your driveway with the engine cold open the hood and spray water from inside the engine compartment outward to clean it off,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts