Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 eldorado that I've rebuilt the 4.1L engine twice in. I have a 92 fwd Fleetwood that has a 4.9L engine. I want know if anyone can tell me if I can swap the 4.1L with the 4.9L. The Fleetwood engine is great but the rest of the car is having serious problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 86 eldorado that I've rebuilt the 4.1L engine twice in. I have a 92 fwd Fleetwood that has a 4.9L engine. I want know if anyone can tell me if I can swap the 4.1L with the 4.9L. The Fleetwood engine is great but the rest of the car is having serious problems.
As I understand it, the Fleetwood being RWD is not compatible with a FWD configured 4.1. It may be only because of the sump and oil pan which could be swapped around but then there is the issue of motor mounts where the FWD mounts are on the front of the engine and RWD are on the sides. I too have considered this but have not spoke with a reputable engine shop..they have books covering interchangeability.

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,190 Posts
With both cars in front of you you can, with difficulty. There is a lot of reading to be done on here by people who have successfully done what you're talking about, the short version of what it will culminate in is the 4.9 liter block with the 4.1 heads, intake and TBI system with Chevy 305 injectors. And lots of little parts combinations between the two.

Once completed it will probably wipe out the trans though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts