Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to use a jumper wire at the oil pressure switch to verify its a bad switch. Also are barometric sensors adjustable and do they come with a tube or adjuster of some sort

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Re: 82 eldorado 4.1

Why do you suspect a bad oil pressure switch?

If you are talking about the MAP sensor, no, it is not adjustable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil pressure switch

The reason I ask is that my car won't stay running once I removed my foot from accelerator pedal,thinking switch is tied to my fuel pump

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Re: 82 eldorado 4.1

No, if that's the case, it's not the switch. Probably an idle control problem. I forget how the 4.1 is controlled. It's carbureted as I recall. Probably just needs an adjustment.

I don't recall if that year had the fuel pump wired to the oil pressure switch or not, but if it did, I believe that the engine would not run if it failed, foot on gas or not.

P.S.
Please do not start new threads on the same subject. No one will ever be able to follow along. I merged these two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
82 eldo' is throttle body

If not the oil pressure switch then what .I know map is non adjustable i wonder about the barometric-switch.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
Re: Oil Pressure Switch

DO NOT start a new thread. This is the second time I had to merge your response to this thread. Use the reply button below to respond.

I do not remember a Barometric switch, but I don't recall any manual adjustments for barometric pressure. Like I said, it sounds idle control related.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I think I have how it works here now,,use the reply got it.I've replaced the throttle position sensor,the fuel pump,the map sensor.I've done the fuel pressure check at the shrader valve,I've done what's called the deadhead check at the throttle body and still no pressure reading.I'm thinking if the throttle body fuel return is blocked and still no pressure maybe the pressure regulator is bad or the whole throttle body assembly.where mite I purchase a manual for this auto

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts

Wait a minute. If I understood you correctly, the engine runs, but will not idle, right? Runs while your foot is on the accelerator, but dies when you remove it?

Best bet for a manual is Ebay. You want a FSM by Helm Inc. NOT one by Chilton or Haynes.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts

Then I still think it is idle control in that case.

P.S.
I edited your title to make it more descriptive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about there being no fuel pressure,as I said new fuel pump is installed and is connected correctly with propped flow direction

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
If you had no fuel pressure the engine would not run or would stall even with your foot on the accelerator. This is idle related. Probably a simple adjustment, but I can't even remember the last time I saw an HT4100, so I can't tell you how to do it from memory. I think Carnut is still pretty current on this engine. See what he has to say when he stops by.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to mention she idles rough then quits,plugs where good,but I replaced them and wires,cap was not cracked or scored,rotor button was good.compression reading at the cylinders read between 139 and 149 psi .I was told that ,that is good across all 8 cylinders

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,553 Posts
How old is the cap and rotor? Not cracked means nothing. The cap contacts erode over time. If the gap (between the rotor contact and the cap contacts) gets too large, it could cause a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will replace the ISC motor

----------

Cap looked nearly new same for the button neither had no scoring.checked all the segments of the computer display,had trouble codes and replaced the codes that showed...think they were code 71. 52. And 27.. only one that showed was 52 meaning the power was lost to the ecm..

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
This engine is a throttle body 2 injector fuel system. On the driver side of the throttle body is an ISC (idle speed control) If thats retracted or has no power to it, the idle will be too low and the engine will stall. The TPS if misadjusted, will cause alot of running issues. It's not as simple as replacement only. It must be adjusted to .5 volts at base idle, did you do that? A faulty oil sender or connection to it will prevent the engine from starting. I think you're in over your head and more so without the factory manual. And again, please list the year and type of car in your profile signature, just click on your forum name and then click on view profile to edit it. The ISC is also adjustable and without the FSM you will have no point of reference! Attempting to adjust the ISC without the manual can possibly damage that circuit in the computer!

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Like Ranger said the oil pressure switch won't make the car stall like that. Did you pull codes to see what's going on? I forget what ignition setup those have but a bad HEI can cause problems like that, so can a bad pickup in the distributor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts