Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i WAS going to post pics of my TBI rebuild and vac line replacing ive been doing just incase someone wanted to see, but the froum makes me resize standard iphone size pics, so i did. Once i spent all that time doing that, it wont let me up load any more pics untill i pay money. So i guess you can use your imagination. i did manage to get One of them on here lol. ANyway it turned out nicely. just have to grab a fuel fitting o-ring tomarrow and it will be all done. All in all over the past couple weeks in my free time ive changed the oil, trans fluid, Both pan gaskets, and new coolant. Repainted the Air Cleaner, painted the TBI shroud, new PCV valve and hose. New EGR valve(which was a pleasure to remove) Every vaccum line replaced (they turned to dust as i removed them lol) Hooked up the Charcoal Canister and Smog system which had both been disconnected for several years, so she should run pretty good once i get this leak fixed, Atleast she wont be staining up the driveway anymore like the Exxon Valdeeze. Next projects are new rotors & pads, prob replace the brake lines with steel braided and then a new Cat converter. Maybe a OEM camaro muffler with Two exhaust pipes if im feeling funky. Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas it definately makes it easier to get this stuff done. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Nice work.

just upload photos to photobucket or dropbox or somesuch, and then link to there

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
And if you post the IMG codes, instead of the HTML link, the pictures will display right on your post.

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
fixed with tags instead of [url] tags

[QUOTE="Crackillac, post: 14240385, member: 87320"][img]http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag53/rbryant86507/IMG_4885_zpsiueykok9.jpg
Pretty Grungy

before

after

^^I think they upped the formula for that 'Super Clean' spray they sell at AZ. It now removes paint, it didnt use to be that strong

some high heat grill paint. idk if i like the Flat look but it looks better for now

Think it was time for some new lines

Before (this thing hasnt been funtioning for years)

after. All hooked up[/QUOTE]

The breather housing is something I've been thinking about. There are print shops that can scan stuff and make new stickers. I think they might be able to make a silk screen transfer too.

Your throttle body was filthy. Wonder where all the carbon came from. EGR maybe

·
Registered
1985 Seville
330 Posts
Looks clean i would have done the air cleaner in gloss or satin to keep it more factory appearing though.

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, newxt time im at the paint store im going to find some satin or gloss high heat stuff and do the Valve covers and some other things in there.

----------

Caution to any of yall who are doing this TBI rebuild, THe biggest hazard is disconnecting and reconnecting these Fuel lines. There is minimal space for manuevering a wrench. I wasnt paying attentention and ended up twsing the inlet line at the attachment point. After waisting 3 days trying to bend and splice a new strectch of pipe i gave up. THe bend in the inlet line is soo curved i could not replicate it. I used some 50PSI rated carb hose and since this is 'fuel injected' they say not to use it but the TBI system only is about 9-12 psi so it works nicely. Before i did this, i made hte mistake of trying the force the bended metal line connection i had made and i unknowinglyt Cross thredded the inlet fitting. It leaked tremendously. SO having ruined the threads on the TBI i went to the junkyard since none of the stores carry this part. Luckily the part of the TBI the fitting screws into is just the Fuel Metering Body which can me taken apart sperately from the Full TBi, so this Part will interchange with the Fuel Metering body from a 4.5 (which seem to be more plentiful at the Junkyards - only because most of the 4.1s have been crushed i guess lol) any way ive attached a pic of the damage i did next to the new junkyard part . ITs verrrry easy to mess these threads up if your trying to reconnect because the area is so tight everything is in a bind, its hard to tell if its cross thredding or if its just being tight. I got it up and RUnning like brand new. and with the Smog air systme hooked up and the new vac lines and egr it seems alot smoother and seems to have a little more punch. Ill post videos soon.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
In my experience this car runs best after setting the timing to 12 degrees BTC. timing. I'm not a fan of generic EGR valves. Each valve is specifically tailored to an engine. If the car runs fine with no part throttle bog, you're lucky. Should be a gauze filter in the base of the charcoal canister that's a replacement item. I ran Delco spark plugs listed for an 88 4.5. Longer life! 60,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1985 eldorado biarritz convertible
151 Posts
im happy to see a guy putting some effort into getting the old 4.1 running tip top. when I bought my 85 eldo vert, I found a tune up thread on the forum and duplicated it as well as doing many of the cleanup tasks you have done. I did the timing , upgraded wires, replaced plugs, cap / rotor / coil / ignition module with accel units, and replaced any serviceable filter I could such as the canister filter. ive been really happy with the characteristics of my motor. im not roasting the tires, but the car does get out of its own way and is very drivable. good luck with yours

1 - 10 of 10 Posts