Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure what "series" bmw, but it was definatly a 5. 528,540 i have no idea. it had the Xenon Angel Eyes, square fog lights. it was night so i never saw the badging. anyone know which 5's came with the square fogs?? anway here's how it went down

im turning onto 42 at about 1130pm. in the turn i pass the bmw and look over to see its a middle aged guy, so i speed up just a hair. in my rearview mirror i can see his back half of the car, then he decides to kick down, i do the same. he gets as close as my back bumper then stops gaining. i started at 45. i got up to 75 look back, he's still right on me. 85 comes up and he's just started to come out of my blind spot and i can see him again in the mirror. 95 comes and i can JUST BARELY see 1 of his headlights in my mirror. i start to get worried. I mean, im obviously slowly loosing him and were now in the triple digits (50 zone) just when im about to slow down he brakes, i do too....105.

so between 45 and 105 i put about a carlength on him. started 1 ahead ended 2 ahead. just to let everyone know there were NO cars on the road, if there were i would have ended it much sooner, like 65 tops.

anyone know how quick these are? the aurora was just barely faster. kind of hard to tell how fast when all i know is it was a 96-2002 (??) 5 series. the xenon angel eyes make me think it was a higher model, 540 maybe? but the square fogs make me think it wasn't the "sport" version. anyone have any clue?

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
It'd be the 530. If it was the 540, that'd have the 4.2 V8 pushing 282 horses, and similar torque. BMW knows how to get their power to the ground too. They also only come as 540i, which is the sport version. That would have handed you your ass. I have to use the giggle gas to outrun them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dubya said:
not sure what "series" bmw, but it was definatly a 5. 528,540 i have no idea. it had the Xenon Angel Eyes, square fog lights. it was night so i never saw the badging. anyone know which 5's came with the square fogs?? anway here's how it went down

im turning onto 42 at about 1130pm. in the turn i pass the bmw and look over to see its a middle aged guy, so i speed up just a hair. in my rearview mirror i can see his back half of the car, then he decides to kick down, i do the same. he gets as close as my back bumper then stops gaining. i started at 45. i got up to 75 look back, he's still right on me. 85 comes up and he's just started to come out of my blind spot and i can see him again in the mirror. 95 comes and i can JUST BARELY see 1 of his headlights in my mirror. i start to get worried. I mean, im obviously slowly loosing him and were now in the triple digits (50 zone) just when im about to slow down he brakes, i do too....105.

so between 45 and 105 i put about a carlength on him. started 1 ahead ended 2 ahead. just to let everyone know there were NO cars on the road, if there were i would have ended it much sooner, like 65 tops.

anyone know how quick these are? the aurora was just barely faster. kind of hard to tell how fast when all i know is it was a 96-2002 (??) 5 series. the xenon angel eyes make me think it was a higher model, 540 maybe? but the square fogs make me think it wasn't the "sport" version. anyone have any clue?
You can get those headlights on the 328i and 330i also.

-Eli

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Yeah, Shadow's probably right, 528/530. The 540 kicks some major butt.

I wonder what a 528/530 with an automatic could have done against the Aurora from a dead stop? The BMW engines seem to offer more torque per liter, IMO.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i looked up the specs on the 540, no way. must have been a 528 or 530. to big to be a 3 series, could have been a 7series, but didn't look THAT big, even though it was the "base" 5 series, most likely a auto too, im happy with the rora.

aurora sucks from a stop. im modded, autobahn edition (3.71's not 3.48's, can do 140 instead of 108) highflow cat, 2.5" piping, dynomax superturbo muffs. and a modded K&N intake. and all i can do is get a couple chirps from a stop, when it cold a little spin but not much. starts to take off around 3.2k

the race started around 45, if it was from a stop it would have been him having me by a carlength at 105. i definatly had a little more from a role though. it was a very close race, it took me a while to put just a little distance on him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts