Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if you guys can help me diagnose this. Haven't tracked my '04 V for probably 5-6 years since it was breaking the sound limits, but there was a private rental tonight so I took it out to the road course and drag strip.

I've never drag raced before but thought I'd give it a go. Ran 4 passes, and on all 3 passes where I shifted from 3rd to 4th at red line, I'd bounce off the rev limiter in 4th, like I was in netural. I even grabbed 5th and the same thing happened. After lifting and slowing down, I'd have power in 4th again. I made 1 pass where I short shifted into 4th and no problem. Any idea what's going on? Is my clutch starting to go?

Car has a baby cam, but I used to road course race it and go WOT 3rd to 4th with no issues.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V Long Roof; '10 CTS Long Roof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4
13,974 Posts
Makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe post up in the Gen I forum to get some help. We'd only be guessing here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know know you posted in the wrong place but I was having a similar issue on my V2 and stumbled upon this write up. I added an extra quart and BAM, all gears all the time. Even with the recommended specs, when you nail it off the line, all the oil runs to the back and causes your retarded shifts. Check out this article and here is a quote from Evil V.

http://www.**********.com/forum/5-transmission/22621-changing-fluid-2010-cts-v-sedan-auto.html

"when my car was slower, the shifting wasn't as much of an issue. when I added the cam and lower pulley was when I first started having issues. it would hit the limiter in the 1-2 shift and 3-4 shifts and would not shift unless I lifted. Found out it was low on fluid from the factory (never assume your car is full unless you check it). we added it to full and it would still hit the limiter at the track. I chased my tail on this one for almost a year playing with the tune because the fluid level was at gm spec. I added more power along the way and that coupled with learning to get that power down on the street, it would feel like it popped out of gear on the 2-3 shift and also the 1-2 at the track. I don't know how many hours were dedicated to trying to get it to shift, but it was a bunch. I finally got fed up thinking my trans was just shot because of the TCM tune I got from KDI Keith. I sucked it up and ordered a circle d with their tuning. put it in, drove it around to get the tune what it was supposed to be. took it to the track....bam, same thing. screwed around again for another few months trying to sort it out. at this point it was well over a year of frustration. I went thru a set of drag radial making 60 foot passes and having it not shift. finally, I remembered reading one of mannys posts that was mixed in with a bunch of other stuff about overfilling. I went out to my garage, put the car on jackstands, went thru the procedure to fill it again with my homemade pump from a go-jo pump bottle. filled it to spec, then shot in another quart and a half. slapped the drag radials on and went to see if I could get a 1-2 shift on the street without wheel spin and at WOT. took some doing, but bam, it shifted as it was supposed to. I was giddy with excitement because during all of this, I broke a ring land when we were tuning it on E85 (likely again contributed to the keith tune). I had replaced the motor, added a formatto ported blower, so it was making good power on the dyno.

planned to go to Cecil on the last Saturday of the year. it was a perfect day. did my burnout, launched the car and it never felt so good. I let it run thru the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and knew I needed to lift because they would toss me. still ran a 11.1 on the brakes. they warned me, next pass I couldn't control myself, I let it eat all the way down and ran a 10.4 with a 1.5 60 foot. Problem solved. from that point on, the trans always did what it was supposed to do. we tweaked the tune some for nitrous and my meth kit because it wasn't seeing max delivered tq, but it worked. from that point on, I tell everyone I talk to, to overfill their trans as the 1st step when you are having issues shifting. had I done that way back when I first started having issues, I would have saved myself probably 7000 bucks for the circle d as the stock trans works if tuned correctly.

also bear in mind that I ran tq management in my tune all the time. so if someone removes it, go somewhere else fast. I personally drove a car that snapped the 4-5-6 hub on a downshift where the tq management was removed. talk about feeling terrible. that car now has a reman trans in it which is overfilled with a formatto tune and it runs awesome....so much so that im hoping it will be in my garage very soon.

sorry to ramble, just want to put context as to why the fluid check is so critical."

Hopoe this helps.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know know you posted in the wrong place but I was having a similar issue on my V2 and stumbled upon this write up. I added an extra quart and BAM, all gears all the time. Even with the recommended specs, when you nail it off the line, all the oil runs to the back and causes your retarded shifts. Check out this article and here is a quote from Evil V.

http://www.**********.com/forum/5-transmission/22621-changing-fluid-2010-cts-v-sedan-auto.html

"when my car was slower, the shifting wasn't as much of an issue. when I added the cam and lower pulley was when I first started having issues. it would hit the limiter in the 1-2 shift and 3-4 shifts and would not shift unless I lifted. Found out it was low on fluid from the factory (never assume your car is full unless you check it). we added it to full and it would still hit the limiter at the track. I chased my tail on this one for almost a year playing with the tune because the fluid level was at gm spec. I added more power along the way and that coupled with learning to get that power down on the street, it would feel like it popped out of gear on the 2-3 shift and also the 1-2 at the track. I don't know how many hours were dedicated to trying to get it to shift, but it was a bunch. I finally got fed up thinking my trans was just shot because of the TCM tune I got from KDI Keith. I sucked it up and ordered a circle d with their tuning. put it in, drove it around to get the tune what it was supposed to be. took it to the track....bam, same thing. screwed around again for another few months trying to sort it out. at this point it was well over a year of frustration. I went thru a set of drag radial making 60 foot passes and having it not shift. finally, I remembered reading one of mannys posts that was mixed in with a bunch of other stuff about overfilling. I went out to my garage, put the car on jackstands, went thru the procedure to fill it again with my homemade pump from a go-jo pump bottle. filled it to spec, then shot in another quart and a half. slapped the drag radials on and went to see if I could get a 1-2 shift on the street without wheel spin and at WOT. took some doing, but bam, it shifted as it was supposed to. I was giddy with excitement because during all of this, I broke a ring land when we were tuning it on E85 (likely again contributed to the keith tune). I had replaced the motor, added a formatto ported blower, so it was making good power on the dyno.

planned to go to Cecil on the last Saturday of the year. it was a perfect day. did my burnout, launched the car and it never felt so good. I let it run thru the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and knew I needed to lift because they would toss me. still ran a 11.1 on the brakes. they warned me, next pass I couldn't control myself, I let it eat all the way down and ran a 10.4 with a 1.5 60 foot. Problem solved. from that point on, the trans always did what it was supposed to do. we tweaked the tune some for nitrous and my meth kit because it wasn't seeing max delivered tq, but it worked. from that point on, I tell everyone I talk to, to overfill their trans as the 1st step when you are having issues shifting. had I done that way back when I first started having issues, I would have saved myself probably 7000 bucks for the circle d as the stock trans works if tuned correctly.

also bear in mind that I ran tq management in my tune all the time. so if someone removes it, go somewhere else fast. I personally drove a car that snapped the 4-5-6 hub on a downshift where the tq management was removed. talk about feeling terrible. that car now has a reman trans in it which is overfilled with a formatto tune and it runs awesome....so much so that im hoping it will be in my garage very soon.

sorry to ramble, just want to put context as to why the fluid check is so critical."

Hopoe this helps.
Thanks a bunch. I assume that's an auto though? Mine's a stick

·
Registered
11 Black Diamond Edition CTS-V Coupe, 12 SRX, 18 Ridgeline RTL-E
182 Posts
Wondering if you guys can help me diagnose this. Haven't tracked my '04 V for probably 5-6 years since it was breaking the sound limits, but there was a private rental tonight so I took it out to the road course and drag strip.

I've never drag raced before but thought I'd give it a go. Ran 4 passes, and on all 3 passes where I shifted from 3rd to 4th at red line, I'd bounce off the rev limiter in 4th, like I was in netural. I even grabbed 5th and the same thing happened. After lifting and slowing down, I'd have power in 4th again. I made 1 pass where I short shifted into 4th and no problem. Any idea what's going on? Is my clutch starting to go?

Car has a baby cam, but I used to road course race it and go WOT 3rd to 4th with no issues.
I had a similar experience with my V2, although it is an A6. When I gave it too much throttle in either 1st or 2nd, it would die for a short time at the upshift. It was actually caused by traction control causing the ECM to pull timing. A second or so thereafter it came on strong again. In my case, just turning off traction control solved the problem.

Your problem sounds similar. Maybe the ECM is pulling timing because you actually hit the rev. limit, for that gear. That might be tire size, spin, and/or late shift related.

I certainly don't know, but, your symptom sure sounds similar to mine. I determined mine by data logging the car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V Long Roof; '10 CTS Long Roof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4
13,974 Posts
Decent attempt, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts