Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville sls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I currently own a 2010 DTS Platinum 118,000. No issues. I am intending to replace the Magnetic Shocks I love the ride. My wife and I replaced the rotors and pads on all 4 wheels. Next job lower Control arms, ball joints and topside engine motor mount. We love this car.
My 20 year old daughter owns a 2006 DTS Premium 130,000.It has new struts front and brakes all around. I can feel the difference between Struts and magnetic Shocks and it is significant.
Previously we had a 2002 Seville with a Northstar and we did a fair amount of work on it at 175,000. My wife and I replaced the Water pump a fairly difficult job. When we bought it cheep it would not pass emissions so we had to replace a solenoid in the transmission PO something. Loosened the engine mounts jacked up the engine so we could crack open the top of the trans and squeezed a new solenoid in place. Worked great passed emissions. Thank God for my wife's little but very strong hands. Drove that car across country both ways pulling a trailer. So now to the real issue. My local junk yard is having a sale on engines. $75.00 plus $25.00 core. I want to buy a 2004 Northstar and rebuild it at home. New head studs most importantly. Are better heads, cams. pistons and cranks, valves, bearings available for that engine. I know I can have the heads ported and I wonder if new heads will take bigger valves. A new starter for sure they are so hard to get to. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
My wife and I currently own a 2010 DTS Platinum 118,000. No issues. I am intending to replace the Magnetic Shocks I love the ride. My wife and I replaced the rotors and pads on all 4 wheels. Next job lower Control arms, ball joints and topside engine motor mount. We love this car.
My 20 year old daughter owns a 2006 DTS Premium 130,000.It has new struts front and brakes all around. I can feel the difference between Struts and magnetic Shocks and it is significant.
Previously we had a 2002 Seville with a Northstar and we did a fair amount of work on it at 175,000. My wife and I replaced the Water pump a fairly difficult job. When we bought it cheep it would not pass emissions so we had to replace a solenoid in the transmission PO something. Loosened the engine mounts jacked up the engine so we could crack open the top of the trans and squeezed a new solenoid in place. Worked great passed emissions. Thank God for my wife's little but very strong hands. Drove that car across country both ways pulling a trailer. So now to the real issue. My local junk yard is having a sale on engines. $75.00 plus $25.00 core. I want to buy a 2004 Northstar and rebuild it at home. New head studs most importantly. Are better heads, cams. pistons and cranks, valves, bearings available for that engine. I know I can have the heads ported and I wonder if new heads will take bigger valves. A new starter for sure they are so hard to get to. Any advice would be helpful.
======================
Are better heads, cams. pistons and cranks, valves, bearings available for that engine.
NO - NO - NO - NO - NO - and NO -

I know I can have the heads ported -
waste of time -

I wonder if new heads will take bigger valves
NO -

WHY would you even bother with a 2004 motor?
you have nothing to put it into -

if you feel the need to hop-up a motor -
you should pick up a SBC - Small Block Chevy -
LOTS of aftermarket support - compared to ZERO aftermarket stuf for a Northstar -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,366 Posts
Maintain the cars you have and forget about modifying a used Northstar. To what end? CHRfab used to supply earlier Northstar parts for Fieros and sand rails - little demand - they're out of business.

As posted, if you want a cute engine stand display, do a Chevy 327, Olds 455, or maybe a 1964 turbo Corvair Spyder engine.

Here's one of my Olds 455 marine engine builds ......... low rpm, high torque. It moves a 14,500 pound workboat at 23 knots if necessary and will idle at 650 all day for crabbing duty.

Boat10.jpg
Boat8.jpg

Boat4.JPG

Here's an early Northstar - built by one of our CF members - in a 1935 Ford Vicky. Many handmade parts. Entire homebrew engine management system.

32 vicky test run 7.jpg

·
Registered
2002 Deville sls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
======================
Are better heads, cams. pistons and cranks, valves, bearings available for that engine.
NO - NO - NO - NO - NO - and NO -

I know I can have the heads ported -
waste of time -

I wonder if new heads will take bigger valves
NO -

WHY would you even bother with a 2004 motor?
you have nothing to put it into -

if you feel the need to hop-up a motor -
you should pick up a SBC - Small Block Chevy -
LOTS of aftermarket support - compared to ZERO aftermarket stuff for a Northstar -
I have a 1983 Malibu Wagon with a Fuel injected 283. light cam. I get it that there are lots of aftermarket everything for Chev. But we like our Northstar's It's a CADDY.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
714 Posts
I have a 1983 Malibu Wagon with a Fuel injected 283. light cam. I get it that there are lots of aftermarket everything for Chev. But we like our Northstar's It's a CADDY.
You might then want to start with a later model Northstar. My 06 has 110,000 on it and runs perfectly.

·
Registered
2002 Deville sls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might then want to start with a later model Northstar. My 06 has 110,000 on it and runs perfectly.
I just found out that Cadillac has a Northstar with supercharger and it puts out 443HP. It was in the 2006 XLR-V.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
I just found out that Cadillac has a Northstar with supercharger and it puts out 443HP. It was in the 2006 XLR-V.
=====================
NOT gonna run in a Deville - Seville - Eldorado - DTS -
it MIGHT be a great conversation piece - under glass - in the living room - with a sign - It's a CADDY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts