Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was not working. I began checking it out and found the plasic lamp holder was split and contacts had fallen out.
Looks to me the socket isn't removable from the chome shell. The socket looks to be 'welded' in. Anyone have experience with this problem?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Do you think you could get the old socket out without damaging the shell? Easy fix might be to just wire in a regular turn signal socket

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
It looks like it's all one piece. The plastichrome just doesn't cover it all. I would hit up the salvage yards and ebay.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried ebay but have only found new complete units. Was this style unit specific to Cadillacs only or could other GM cars of the era use that same shell/socket combo? Few salvage yards here anymore.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gave up trying to find OE piece. The local GM parts dealers say their books don't go farther back then '99. So, rather then spending the rest of my life searching for this piece, I bought a socket for an 1156 bulb. Mechanically added a Ground wire to the metal socket body and cut-out the old socket body. Some JB weld on the top surface and a few tight 'o'-rings underneath....done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts