Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up group, i am putting an 81 cadillac fleetwood engine into my 68 caddy. i am converting it back to carburetor because that dfi is pretty sorry and i dont want to run new lines. i have the manifold, vaccum advance distributor,and carburetor.i was looking at my block and didnt see the "block off" plate where the mechanical pump is supposd to go. i was looking at a few other 368 dfi engines and they have the plate. was teh fleetwood motor differnet taht regular devilles? if the block off plate has been welded is tehre any way to drill through it? please help if anybody knows

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Even if the pump mounted to the block the eccentric might not be mounted inside the engine. Consider an electric pump.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,606 Posts
Don't do it......you will be very disapointed with the power....you could get by with a 425... but a 368 is not powerful enough for that heavy car...

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Don't do it......you will be very disapointed with the power....you could get by with a 425... but a 368 is not powerful enough for that heavy car...
While the car will not take off like factory, the 368 has plenty of torque to move a heavy car. The older cars have a higher axle gear too. Just don't expect it to burn holes in the pavement like the original engine. The front end will also be higher due to weight difference between engines.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks you all fo rteh help, i hjave gotten past teh fuel issue by just orderinga low pressur efule pump and splicing it into my lines, i alos put in pl;ace a pressure regulator to keep ecess ga souty, i have the car all ready for spak but i really dopnt kwpo how to find top dead center, i shoiulda put a piece of tape on teh motor to mark where it was but i wasnt thinking.
what is teh proper way to do it, i am hearing alot, but this groiup should know best

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Put your finger over the #1 plug hole with the plug out. Don't put your finger in if you have small fingers because you will only have 9-1/2.
Have an assistant tap the starter. You will feel a ton of compression followed by the front pulley mark lining up with TDC. If the marks are missing then look down the plug hole for max height on piston.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts