Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.... As some of you know, I'm new to this forum, but I have been 'lurking" long before I bought and joined! So..... on the camera issue of being "very bad at night" and "not so good in the daytime".......I tried out the system last night and then several times today...guess what? The system on this vehicle is BETTER than what I had on my 2013 Benz GL!! Believe it or not... I can see much better at night on this system!!! You should see all the negative comments on the GL forum regarding the 360 cams on those vehicles....the Escalade is not alone, and is actually a good bit better!

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Lighting will be the major boost to the cameras.
The system uses lower resolution Fish Eye Lenses, than the previous back up camera.
it might be as simple as bigger bulbs for the reverse tail lights and licenses plate bulbs for the reverse camera, bigger bulbs for the puddle lights on the sides.
the front has plenty of light but may need some aimed down closer to the front bumper.
the lights have to come on on all four sides for the surround cameras to see.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Maybe they improved the camera system before yours was built as mine is terrible. My 2015i Escalade was built during the first week of 2015i Escalade production, so it's a very early build for the 2015i generation K2XX SUVs. I already have a documented complaint with GM/Cadillac and waiting for a solution like everyone else in the same boat.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
Do you have some pictures?

Glad to hear that they improved the camera on your new escalade.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
The cameras have not improved, they have gotten worse. The capabilities are better but the resolution and quality has been downgraded for technical capabilities in the 2015i, Birdseye view mode is the reason. It splits the screen into two views, Birdseye and rear view, when it should let you choose to have both, or either one displayed with higher resolution cameras.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
I guess with my plain old ( 2015 ) escalade I don't have an issue with the backup camera at nite. Don't get me wrong it's not as clear as my 2010 escalade but it's a lot better the my friends 2015i escalade .

·
Registered
2015 ESV Premium
415 Posts
I have looked into my camera issue and waiting for go to service when vehicle is due for oil change to show them.. I have also written and documented this.. Not sure if they will have a fix.. but have researched from outside vendors and at this time no one really has to much info about making changes aftermarket.. I have spoken to some people who do this type off computer work and have gotten a couple of answers the ones that sounds reasonable was similar to KandyDavins posted.. Since their are two images being shared on one screen it maybe causing the image to be out of focus... Now I am no computer geek but it sounded pretty good... Also I did my own test and found that if you put additional lights at night when in reverse the image is much better since the reverse only has small LED bulbs.. you can also do this by just finding a dark area and you just need to place a work light/spot light anything off that nature and place it by the bumper and when you put in reverse you can see the image is much better.. Not sure if there are brighter bulbs on the market for this vehicle yet..

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
The Company doing the surround cameras for Bentley, MB, Lincoln and a hand full of other car companies is a German company. Their have just integrated in gaming software into their 4 camera system that gives the illusion of 8 cameras. one on each side and one on each corner.
they have so seamlessly combined the side camera fisheyes into a 3D type of image that appears to go under rate car.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im still saying.....if you saw what the 360 system looks like ( at night ) on the MB GL line, you would think what you are seeing on your Escalade is a MAJOR improvement!! The quality of all of them is not good at night!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I thought the platinum's camera was okay but after backing up my GLK out of the garage, the MB was definitely clearer.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your GLK have the 360 cam or the straight backup cam?? Its the 360 systems that provide the issues with backup.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I keep forgetting to take a pic of my GL550's 360 camera.

I am going to keep a note to myself and try taking a pic of my dad's 2015i.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Alright finally got a pic of my GL cameras a night

It's somewhat not clear, so the cameras in the GL is in the same ballpark as the new Escalades.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Nihsel10 said:
Alright finally got a pic of my GL cameras a night It's somewhat not clear, so the cameras in the GL is in the same ballpark as the new Escalades.
About the same. I can live with it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts