Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 FWB 'Blue Devil', 95 FWB 'Black Beauty', 95 FWB 'Maroon Majesty', now 94 FW 'Bewitching Beige'
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been sometime since I've been active on the forum. I thought I'd return giving some ideas/help to others. Some schmuck hit the back of my 94. I'm guessing that it was someone with a truck/SUV add a trailer hitch. More importantly, it destroyed my trim AND dented the bumper. After 2 months looking on ebay I could not find the trim, much less a good bumper with the trim.

Then I thought what if I found my own generic trim and tried to clean up the rear. I think we know what the bumper looked like after getting hit. If not, here is some images (not of my car - didn't think of pictures until after the fix).
center

Here is the result of some ingenuity and elbow grease:

I think if I had went with 8 feet and had more time and a heat gun I may have gotten the trim around the sides of the bumper. I'm not too upset with it the way it is. I have some of the old piece that I may be able to bend around and try.

But let me know what you think. Honestly, this was a total investment of $36 and about 3 hours (90 minutes measuring, dry fitting, measuring again, cleaning/prepping and then more than about another 90 making sure the double-sided tape was correct and other little tweaks).

My love of 94-96 Fleetwoods hasn't died yet. This is number 5 (it is a my first base without the roof - and I love it).

Now it is on to tightening up the suspension (I plan on Monroe Severe Duty all around - I don't cushy for a ride).
I assume a new steering damper is a plus with bushings and such - I'll listen to advice on whether I should change springs. I'm not auto-crossing so no need for a WS6 steering box (lol).

Then its on to a dash cover (I know easy - but let me know what's the best) and a new radio (w/HD Radio and Apple CarPlay).

I hope this helps someone - if you need the details ... just email me.
Later I have modern wheels (you can find

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
779 Posts
Nice job! With these cars 25+ years old, the bumper mouldings are becoming an issue. They don't seem to be available new and the ones you find at junkyards are usually brittle and broken.

On my 96 the trim is perfect, on my 94, that I picked up 1 1/2 years ago, the bumper trim, front and rear, was in bad shape. So, I went to the junkyard and picked up broken trim pieces. I cut the pieces diagonally and got them to fit real good. I then painted the trim on the whole car. The trim looks really good. You have to look real close to find where I spliced.

Do you have any links for the trim you bought?

Tom

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,108 Posts
A right decent hack there, Barrister-. I love the look of a vinyl delete FW. With a nearly flushed rear deck yours looks like the perfect candidate for a giant Escalade Crest-n-Wreath

·
Registered
94 FWB 'Blue Devil', 95 FWB 'Black Beauty', 95 FWB 'Maroon Majesty', now 94 FW 'Bewitching Beige'
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job! With these cars 25+ years old, the bumper mouldings are becoming an issue. They don't seem to be available new and the ones you find at junkyards are usually brittle and broken.

On my 96 the trim is perfect, on my 94, that I picked up 1 1/2 years ago, the bumper trim, front and rear, was in bad shape. So, I went to the junkyard and picked up broken trim pieces. I cut the pieces diagonally and got them to fit real good. I then painted the trim on the whole car. The trim looks really good. You have to look real close to find where I spliced.

Do you have any links for the trim you bought?

Tom
Put up some pictures of your fix.

And to answer your question: Manufacturer Part Number: FSBM102 and here is the link I used to get it Amazon

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
779 Posts
Put up some pictures of your fix.
Here you go:

1st picture is from about 5 feet away, looks decent.

IMG_1916.jpg

2nd picture is up close, you can see the splice. If it were on a flat surface, rather than on a corner it probably would have been less noticeable. But all in all, I am more than satisfied. I painted all the trim.

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been sometime since I've been active on the forum. I thought I'd return giving some ideas/help to others. (...)

My love of 94-96 Fleetwoods hasn't died yet. This is number 5 (it is a my first base without the roof - and I love it).

(...) Then its on to a dash cover (I know easy - but let me know what's the best) and a new radio (w/HD Radio and Apple CarPlay).
Thank you for the post. Would very much like your opinion of how the base FW and Broughams compare in your experience. I am think about seat comfort, seat-of-the-pants feeling (different gearing, etc.), and also your take on head space with and without a sunroof.

PS: please post what you choose for dash cover and new radio unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts