Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after examining the options available to work up the 4.9L, I have decided that next year, when I have a house with a garage, I'm going to take my caddy off the line, do do some EXTENSIVE modification to it.

My lan, rebuild the body and frame to support the vehicle being converted over to a 350 RWD engine/tranny.

Why? Because I know the 350 quite well, and there are a myriad of upgrades and options for it. I'm going to go for the 2006 350 from the Chevy truck line, coil over ignition.

Now, has anyone attempted this with a FWD Sedan DeVille before? If so, I'd love any input and feedback as to specific problems encountered during the conversion, and things to look out for.

((Now you all have to admit, a 92 Sedan with a supercharged bored, stroked 350 would be one HELL of a car, right?))

D

·
0 Posts
Well, after examining the options available to work up the 4.9L, I have decided that next year, when I have a house with a garage, I'm going to take my caddy off the line, do do some EXTENSIVE modification to it.

My lan, rebuild the body and frame to support the vehicle being converted over to a 350 RWD engine/tranny.

Why? Because I know the 350 quite well, and there are a myriad of upgrades and options for it. I'm going to go for the 2006 350 from the Chevy truck line, coil over ignition.

Now, has anyone attempted this with a FWD Sedan DeVille before? If so, I'd love any input and feedback as to specific problems encountered during the conversion, and things to look out for.

((Now you all have to admit, a 92 Sedan with a supercharged bored, stroked 350 would be one HELL of a car, right?))
Pipe dream, you will never do it. Oh, and there is no 350 in the current Chevy truck line. But you know 350's quite well so I'm sure you knew that.

In all seriousness, this would be a very extensive project. How do you plan to install the transmission/driveshaft/rear axle/exhaust?. Lots and lots of fabricating and massive amounts of torch work would be required. Not too mention the money!.

Ok, there is a way to do it and I have seen it done to a Deville of that body style but it entailed putting the Deville on a Blazer frame and adapting the steering and all that. Of course, the car would sit high like a truck at that point. Good luck (you will need it)!.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
Might as well sell it and buy a real 350 powered RWD Cadillac...

The '90-93 Broughams had the TBI 350.

The '94-96 Broughams had the LT1 350.

Take your pic! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, that was my plan, use a lot of the body work and parts from a Brougham, I had an 87 with a 350.

As for a 350 not being in the current truck line, there isn't one readily available, but you can still get one. My grandfather and I got his truck with a 350 in, Silverado 1500. Took some work, but it was done.

Yea, I know it will take a lot of work, extensive frame modifications, new steering system, whole new electronics systems, new transmission, rebuilding the front end to account for the extra weight, and possibly add weight to the midframe and rear end to account for the variances.

So far, my estimates have come to an average of nine thousand dollars, and two years of work from initiation.

I'll also be adding in a more thorough engine management system and readout, probably the Greddy Profec B system. As for engine management, I'm still looking, since my main field of experience is my old car, a 3000 GT VR-4.

I've found the Cadillac leaves me much to desire in readouts, so I'm going to look into custom A pillar and dash integrated gauges for water temp, engine temperature, fuel mix ration, knock read, etc.

All in all, I think when I'm done, I could bring my Caddy into a new line of style and performance, while still doing my utmost to keep the features and style that make them such wonderful cars.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I wish you luck! That is one big project. I think there was a guy that converted his FWD Seville to RWD a while ago.

Want to race when you are finished? I have $15-16K invested in my Fleetwood (with the purchase price of $8K included).

FYI, I don't think the '87 Brougham ever came with a 350. I think the engine was a 5.0 liter Olds 307?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it CAME with the 350, but it was a definate 5.7L TBI, it was a Canadian built one, so when I got it I had to convert it from metric to US measurements.

I miss that car, I had a LOT of work into it, tore out the TBI, put in a Holley 4 barrel carb, new cams and pistons, it was a beauty, especially with the custom dual straight pipe....too bad I got side swiped into a K-Rail by a semi in it.

D

·
0 Posts
As for a 350 not being in the current truck line, there isn't one readily available, but you can still get one. My grandfather and I got his truck with a 350 in, Silverado 1500. Took some work, but it was done.
:confused:What kind of work did it take?

·
Registered
02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup
2,172 Posts

:hmm:

After you're finished you can tackle world hunger.

J/k
Good Luck with the project.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:confused:What kind of work did it take?
Talking to the owner of the dealership, and getting him to help make the special order for us. Amazing what happens when you're paying cash for a $32,000 truck....now if it had only been mine.

D

·
0 Posts
Talking to the owner of the dealership, and getting him to help make the special order for us. Amazing what happens when you're paying cash for a $32,000 truck....now if it had only been mine.
What year truck?.

D

·
0 Posts
It's an 06 Silverado 1500 2WD, LSD rear end (which I hate) and the HD tow package.
I absolutely hate to do this man but :anibs: . You cant talk a dealer into installing an older 350 in a brand new truck. What your grandfather probably has is the 5.3L LS motor which is found in most GM trucks and is more powerful than the old Vortec 350's.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I thought he had gotten too, but all the tags for the truck read 5.7L, not 5.3.

If I get back to FL where he lives, which I should when I get some vacation from work, I'll see if I can get more details on it.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Yes, more details please. The 350 hasn't been made since like 1999 in the "regular use" trucks, 2002 in the Camaros and Firebird, and 2004 in the Corvettes, and it may be newer if you're talking about the goofy box vans and commerical stuff. But they don't make it anymore.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the one thing I do know is it's a work rated truck, didn't come with jack crap anything other than cruise, air, and fm/am radio. The dealer (Michale Holley Chevrolet) has a separate section for trucks like that, all with bare essentials and HD upgrade for suspension and drive train. Maybe it's older than I thought, all I know is he bought it Jul 06, and it took about three weeks for it to arrive/be ready.

Mike is also a friend of my grandfather's, he might have dug up the engine from somewhere himself and had the work done for my grandpa.

But, you're quite right, the most recent engine would be the R build, and that ended in 00. If I remember I'll ask him for the specifics when I talk to him again...but that could be a few weeks, we both work a lot anymore. ((Well, I work more, he spends his off time fishing))

1 - 18 of 18 Posts