Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1948 Seies 62
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1948 Cadillac with a 346 flathead with 50,000 original miles. The car ran and drive perfect 10 years ago according to the previous owner. He stopped driving it when the muffler rusted and fell down.

I've been pouring a mixture of tranny fluid, acetone and diesel fluid down the spark plug holes and intake for almost a month. I took the front pulley off and made a bracket that bolted to the harmonic balancer with a 3 foot pipe welded to the bracket to try and turn the motor over.....still no luck. I pulled the oil pan off and I don't see any damage that would cause the engine to be locked. I pulled off both heads and used a 3x3 piece of wood and gave each piston a few solid hits and still absolutely no movement. For the past week I have a ratchet strap on the pipe that is bolted to the balancer to keep constant pressure and fill up each cylinder with the tranny fluid mixture daily. Some fluid is seeping through down to the pan but not a lot. Anything else I can do before I decide to pull the engine and pulling it completely apart??

Dan

·
Registered
1964 Convertible, 1974 Corvette coupe, 1974 Corvette Vert
80 Posts
Dan, it sounds like you have a really seized engine there. I read your thread on *************** and think that the best option might be to hot tank the whole engine and the chemicals in the tank should dissolve all the non-ferrous parts such as pistons and bearings, but you would be replacing those anyway. That might be the only way to pull the engine apart.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

·
Registered
1948 Seies 62
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pulling the engine and transmission tomorrow to start the piece by piece inspection until I can find the "stuck" parts. I see a complete rebuild in my future....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts