Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed in the newest build threads that nearly all of you have decided, somewhat reluctantly, to go with the Olds 307 for your next engine. No one seems very thrilled about it but let me assure you it's a fine choice — quiet, smooth and enough low end torque to make a big block proud. You will enjoy 20-24mpg on the freeway.

Still not convinced?

Check out my 0-60 run today. I usually hit the gas 1 sec into the video. As you can see the car hits 60mph at about 12 sec, making the 0-60 run 11 sec.

11 sec 0-60 for a 30 year old luxury car is pretty darn good if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fr1R5Q53G4

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
That's about on par with my '89 (has an unmodified, factory 307); last I checked, she did 0-60 in about 14 seconds, but I was going up a hill.

I really want to take it to a drag strip, and see what the 1/4 mile time is. I'm not sure if there are any drag strips around, who have an amateur hour, and I'm positive that nobody in the grandstands will stick around to see some bare-bones stock Cadillac, Cadillac down the runway.

If I can find a drag strip to test on, I might just bring both my Cadillacs and see which one has the faster 307.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
I didn't know a 307 would go 60. Just kidding.....

I like all the cars I had with the olds engine, they were dogs at climbing hills though.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
979 Posts
Many factory 307 cars had the throttle linkage adjusted so they would not reach W.O.T. for some reason.

That's enough to make one believe the engine needs to be larger.

European cars have always done fine with smaller displacement engines. Many places pay road tax based on displacement.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,172 Posts
Looks like your 307 is running good.

I use to own a 89 brougham with the 5.0 & yeah it's better than the 4.1, but the 307 could use a tad more power. For what the 307 is, it's not a bad motor.

I currently have a 85 fleetwood brougham with the 4.1 & a 90 brougham with the 5.7. It is a night & day difference between the two.

I'm not trying to open up a which engine is best. My opinion is when gm killed the 368 & the other big block motors, they should have put the 5.7 in the full size cars. But no Cadillac had to be "exclusive" with the 4.1.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
GM did not kill the big block motors. Our government did with new minimum fuel mileage laws. The car makers did not have sufficient time to develop more efficient engines, so the only way to meet the rules was with smaller engines.

·
Registered
1986 Fleetwood Brougham
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's all stock Dope. Ran smooth as silk when I got her 2.5 years ago. Then idle became high. Then mechanic made some manual adjustment, because idle is controlled by the ECU. Then idle was too low but I lived with it.

When it failed the emission test my mechanic checked and said it was probably a small intake manifold leak. I told him to do the EGR service too. He did that and put in new vacuum lines where needed. It wasn't running bad before maybe 13-14 sec 0-60, now it's 11-12. Idle is silky smooth again too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts