Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the early to mid '90s there were 4 $35,000-$50,000 japanese supercars. The Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, and Nissan 300ZX Twin turbo and Mazda RX-7, What one is your favorite? Mine is the 3000GT VR4, it looks the coolest, is quickest, seats "4", AWD, sounds cool. the only bad thing about it is its a DSM.

·
Registered
Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood
574 Posts
yeah, i like that idea of the rotary engine. isnt it like 3 moving part for teh actually engine. like the wankel version

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
pretty much .....depends on how many rotors and such but yah , your ont he rght track...

the wankel/rotary acutally started life as a supercharger for a small motorcycle ....the supercharger became an engine later on ....not unlike the turbo giving way tot he jet engine

at one time , there were wankel powered lawnmowers ..among other things , like the suzuki RE5 motorcycle , whic has been my dream bike for many years (outside that ducatti i fell for)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
There could have been a poll on this thread. :)

My Favorite looking was was 3000GT, basically a dodge Stealth but I read in some car magazine over a decade ago that they tried to desogn the front-end of the 3000GT to look like a Samurai warrior, and it kind of did. I remember the last of the Stealths, they had a beautiful pearl white one with red leather seats...

I still see a lot of Stealths around, but hardly the Mitsu clone.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Mitsubishis suck in my book, the nissan wasn't as cool as the 240.

Now, Mazdas have always been cool, until the RX7 got so damn expensive that they had to cancel it. Now, the Supra is a very interesting model. I suppose you could say it was the king of ricer cars, because it was pretty much the best thing to come out of japan auto plants since...hmmm....

Anyway I hear they're bringing it back, and Nissan is bringing the SKYLINE to USA in the form of an Infiniti. It will be that G35 coupe with LOTS of upgrades basically. Not bad. Not bad at all...

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Yeah those twin turbo Supras have a mythical status among ricers and some regular automotive fans...I suppose I wouldn't mind having one, but if I had to choose, I've always been partial to Mazdas. They're just so damn cool. Even now that they've been taken over by Ford and had to start making regular cars:p, their regular cars are great too (i.e. Mazda3, Mazda6)

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
ben72227 said:
Yeah those twin turbo Supras have a mythical status among ricers and some regular automotive fans...I suppose I wouldn't mind having one, but if I had to choose, I've always been partial to Mazdas. They're just so damn cool. Even now that they've been taken over by Ford and had to start making regular cars:p, their regular cars are great too (i.e. Mazda3, Mazda6)
My uncle likes Mazdas, just not as much as you. :p In the 1970's he had a Mazda with a rotary engine (small and looked like an early 1970's Corolla-maybe you know the model, RX-3?) anyway, he said it was the best car he ever owned, never broke down..

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Mazda: Lexus looks, Honda priced...I really like their newer models and the '99 Protege wasn't too bad either.

But in all honesty, I've always been partial to the 3000 GT VR4. I have to put the Stealth in that category as well.

·
Registered
81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8
230 Posts
RX-7 all the way, best looks, turbo rotory, and the best handling. And I sear that everything Mazda makes handles great. Even my old 87 Mazda B2000 truck would out handle alot of cars, once I learned how to slide it around. My moms 88 626 handled great more of a sports sedan than a family car. My roommates 02 Protege' out handles anything in its class. My Miata drives like a slow Lamborgini, the handling is just rediculous especially when I put my slicks on for Autocrossing. By the way I love Mazda's as much as older GM's. I would own a RX-7 but I can't afford the parts!

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
I'm somewhat partial to the Supra, since my mother used to have a 1995 Twin Turbo 6spd. She drove that thing like it was a race car, and it was pretty damn fast. Nothing cooler when your a kid, than hearing those two turbo's spool up on the highway. Sounded just like a plain taking off...hehe. :burn: I'd be willing to bet that with a good driver in each car, the Supra would take them all.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Supercars? I think not.

I don't particularly like any of these cars. There are some fast poopras around though. I think I found a shirt I am gonna buy:

http://***********/random/Suprashirt.jpg

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
dunno, I always thought the 3000 was a little cartoonish with those fake vents and what not. But the AWD and 4 seats aspect always drew my admiration.

Of the names you listed, I would rank

Supra
300Z
RX7

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Dodge Stealth R/T & Mitsu 3000 GT
in that pearlized metallic yellow w/the chrome rims they had.

But #1 would be the Mitsu hardtop retractable 'Vert 3000GT
in the Pearl Yellow. 17 were made. I've seen 2 of them on
the road! DIE NA MITE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts