Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened to me. 27k miles!
Dealership will repair and return the car next week, my biggest fear is that it will happen again.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 Performance
17 Posts
Well it finally happened to me. 27k miles!
Dealership will repair and return the car next week, my biggest fear is that it will happen again.
Mine failed at 3000 miles, they replaced pistons and so far they've told me tough shit. They aren't doing anything else for me. If it goes that way it will be the last GM anything I ever buy

·
Registered
ATS Performance 2.0 T 6sp manual
6 Posts
Sorry about your loss, glad you are able to get another mill. Can you offer a little background for those of us who haven't had an issue yet? Since you are in the middle of a warranty replacement, I'm sure you adhered strictly to the guidelines set by GM. However, if you were to describe a similar hypothetical situation, could you hypothetically answer the questions below that have absolutely nothing to do with your situation?
1. Would there be a catch can installed?
2. Would anyone ever remove the intercooler to drain?
3. Would there be any other kind of mods installed on the engine?
4. Would the vehicle be an automatic or stick?
5. Which region of the country would this vehicle be in?
6. Has there been a lot of moisture or abnormal weather changes other than the usual springtime showers?

There has to be some kind of common thread. I've got 20K now and every time start with a cold engine I think about it as the revs climb past 4K that first time.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about your loss, glad you are able to get another mill. Can you offer a little background for those of us who haven't had an issue yet? Since you are in the middle of a warranty replacement, I'm sure you adhered strictly to the guidelines set by GM. However, if you were to describe a similar hypothetical situation, could you hypothetically answer the questions below that have absolutely nothing to do with your situation?
1. Would there be a catch can installed?
2. Would anyone ever remove the intercooler to drain?
3. Would there be any other kind of mods installed on the engine?
4. Would the vehicle be an automatic or stick?
5. Which region of the country would this vehicle be in?
6. Has there been a lot of moisture or abnormal weather changes other than the usual springtime showers?

There has to be some kind of common thread. I've got 20K now and every time start with a cold engine I think about it as the revs climb past 4K that first time.
1. I have no idea what is a catch can?
2.i do t know if they will do this. Should I ask?
3.i I would have to ask this question
4.automatic
5.seattle Washington
6.it rains almost everyday here.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also this happened after having a long weekend where my father was in town. So I was driving 200 round trip two times to pick him up from the airport. I started my car the day afterwards and I got the service trackability and traction control off light. Shortly afterwards check engine light came on and car start shake/rough idle and tugging while driving.

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
Also this happened after having a long weekend where my father was in town. So I was driving 200 round trip two times to pick him up from the airport. I started my car the day afterwards and I got the service trackability and traction control off light. Shortly afterwards check engine light came on and car start shake/rough idle and tugging while driving.
At least your forum name is damn good

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
Mine failed at 3000 miles, they replaced pistons and so far they've told me tough shit. They aren't doing anything else for me. If it goes that way it will be the last GM anything I ever buy
What do you want/expect them to do?

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
6.it rains almost everyday here.
As a former resident of both Queen Anne and Cap Hill, I object to saying it rains every day. Maybe "drizzle", but it never really rains that hard. Unless it's so hard the 520 starts riding the waves (I left before the toll on the 520/new bridge project began).

1. A Catch can is basically a can that catches the oily vapors coming out of the crankcase and then lets as much oil settle out of it as possible before putting the vapors to the intake (before the turbo) where they normally go. The idea is there are non-oil combustion byproduct vapors in there that you don't want re-mixing back into the oil. Typically you then just drain the catch can every oil change and discard what comes out along with the old oil.

2. Have them check on the passenger side of the intercooler when they pull the intake/throttle body/intercooler pipe, its easy with a borescope. Some cars have large amounts of oil/water/crap in the intercooler, some they are bone dry, which is odd.

3. You tell us if you plan to mod or had modded the car, just because some guys who tune the engine may or may not have a higher chance of failure.

4. Alas! The manual transmission has hill start assist, and I can verify it works great on Seattle's hills.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As a former resident of both Queen Anne and Cap Hill, I object to saying it rains every day. Maybe "drizzle", but it never really rains that hard. Unless it's so hard the 520 starts riding the waves (I left before the toll on the 520/new bridge project began).

1. A Catch can is basically a can that catches the oily vapors coming out of the crankcase and then lets as much oil settle out of it as possible before putting the vapors to the intake (before the turbo) where they normally go. The idea is there are non-oil combustion byproduct vapors in there that you don't want re-mixing back into the oil. Typically you then just drain the catch can every oil change and discard what comes out along with the old oil.

2. Have them check on the passenger side of the intercooler when they pull the intake/throttle body/intercooler pipe, its easy with a borescope. Some cars have large amounts of oil/water/crap in the intercooler, some they are bone dry, which is odd.

3. You tell us if you plan to mod or had modded the car, just because some guys who tune the engine may or may not have a higher chance of failure.

4. Alas! The manual transmission has hill start assist, and I can verify it works great on Seattle's hills.
I don't plan on modding the car.. I did put 20" black rims on it. Will the catch can void my warranty?

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
surprised that Caddy fanbois have not chimed in and say that "your case is just one in a small population of failed piston, statisically speaking" yet lol

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
proud caddy fanboi here. cadillac has managed to create a car that only works for cool ppl.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Now wait a minute, isn't your warranty void because you admitted you have a catless downpipe to your dealer? ...and also isn't that a big no no in the state of California....? ...that's not cool....

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
Now wait a minute, isn't your warranty void because you admitted you have a catless downpipe to your dealer? ...and also isn't that a big no no in the state of California....? ...that's not cool....
That's what makes me cool... I break the rules... Just like cool people.
Live life on the edge and a quarter mile at a time... Lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts