Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
2009 CTS4
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible? Would it be plug in & go kind of compatibility, or what kind of other modifications would need to be done? Has it ever been done before?

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Is it possible? Would it be plug in & go kind of compatibility, or what kind of other modifications would need to be done? Has it ever been done before?
Anything is possible. How much money do you have?
It would not be "plug in & go" compatibility.

It would be an interesting endeavor, but you'd probably have more money saved by just purchasing a Caddy already equipped with a TT mill from the factory.
If you want to see a cool swap, check out the threads by Big_kid.

Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
the V-Sport was never intended for our generation of CTS so it definitely would not be a plug in and go as Long mentions above...you would be looking at a big operation...

good luck with your choice

Bill

Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
One thing to consider...
You need to measure the motor.. The 3.6TT has the turbos installed into the exhaust manifolds. These motors thus are very wide compared to a standard 3.6. You would have to check for clearance before considering this.

IF the engine would fit then it would be no different than doing an LFX swap since the 3.6TT engine is based off the LFX setup. You could probably use the same engine computer etc..

But the biggest thing is to make sure the width of the compartment would support the twin turbo setup. If not your dead before you start...

I am in progress of trying to sort out where to mount a supercharger I bought cheap. If this sucker will work somewhere it might be the best option to get power from your CTS regardless of v6 engine.

Registered
08 CTS DI
Put it out of your mind "son". The motor will fit, but not with the turbos. It is as far from plug and play as you can get with an OE application. The LF3-4 platform is complicated and nowhere near the practicality of a custom turbo install. The engine compartment of the third gen cars is optimized in a manner that will accommodate the additional space required by the turbos. A picture of an under hood view of the ATS-V will show the difference in the strut towers relative to the second gen cars to give some insight on how things are very different clearance wise between the two cars.

Registered
2009 CTS4
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the answers.
So with all that being said, anyone think it would be possible to reroute the turbos to make space? Money isn鈥檛 a problem. I work at a parts store, & my father is a GM cert mechanic & can fab just about whatever needed. So parts & work are cheap.
Really just wanting to see what I鈥檇 be looking at price wise, buying a salvaged 3.6TT versus buying a supercharger kit from overkill.

Registered
08 CTS DI
Look into the differences in performance between the supercharger and aftermarket turbocharger systems, the supercharger is more compact, but will have limitations as far as power limits are concerned. Turbo lag is not an issue on a properly matched turbo(s), although many keep parroting it. Both systems have a trade off for their benefits. What you need to keep in mind is that if you are subject to smog checks, your system will need to pass it some how considering the custom turbos are usually mounted low where the catalytic converters connect up and relocating the converters does not make the car legal since they would not be in the stock locatlion. A complete LF4 motor will cost about as much as the supercharger kit; As for the install, you'll probably be the first and there's no telling what that expense will be above $1k.

Let your dad know what your plans are for him, as being a great mechanic with fabrication skills will not prepare him for the computer systems on these cars well enough to make for a trouble free integration of two entirely different engine management platforms (there's no shop manual for that), not to mention the parts that are specific to and required by the motor. You'd be better off and wiser to save your money and wait another 5 to 6 yrs for the prices to drop and just buy the car used, especially if you're already prepared to dump and I do mean dump not less than a total of $10k into buying an LF4 and attempting to install it into a non LF4 car. The computer systems are the absolute toughest part of this quest and if they're not happy, you don't ride.

The Camaro forums contain a number of aftermarket twin turbo 3.6L cars, you could follow their examples and expect similar results following their paths.

Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
Hey Web daddy... I am actually working on another option. Which engine do you currently have?

Maybe you and your dad can help with this project... Basically throw a supercharger on your car bigger than anything you could ever use for around $1000...
Check out the thread I am about to put up...

As to fuel system there are options but the factory injectors should be good enough when running 91 octane. LY7 and LLT might get a little undersized when trying to run E85. The LFX has a better fuel system but even with it you can upgrade to get full E85 functionality. Requires new injectors, new intank pump, new highpressure pump and a modified CAM to support the max fuel input..

Link to my project is here if you are interested (No need to hijack this link..)

Rodney

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
It does not stop with just an engine drop in. Then a transmission and the drive lines and rear.front axle assy must be bigger. or you can just grenade all the gears ever so often.
and all though many may not agree, But faster cars need BIGGER brakes and tires, if you want to stop it.

Registered
08 CTS DI
It does not stop with just an engine drop in. Then a transmission and the drive lines and rear.front axle assy must be bigger. or you can just grenade all the gears ever so often.
and all though many may not agree, But faster cars need BIGGER brakes and tires, if you want to stop it.
For all out power coupled with severe use, yes, otherwise some of the DIY blown Camaros have been running more power through the stock 6L50 trans, rear end and axles at the wheels than the LF4 makes at the crank without a problem until they start adding racing slicks and even then they took a lot of beating on the dyno and at the track before letting go. I've learned through their efforts that the breaking point for the stock 3.6L is about 600 hp at the wheels. GM makes this stuff a lot tougher than they use to, the drive train has a lot of cushion above stock demands. Torque management needs to be kept in mind for its anti-abuse qualities also and many tend to keep some of it active in the tune where they're able to adjust it. It just isn't necessary to rebuild the car in unison for an engine performance increase as long as it's driven practically, that's the best part about aftermarket modifications.

Brake upgrades with increased power is a practical move, but I believe many of us here are speaking with the wisdom that comes with age in the form of safe driving when we say they're not urgent and that is, if you're driving sensibly on the streets, your 300hp car will not need anymore stopping power when it's bumped up to 500 hp. If it's being tracked where pushing the limits is encouraged, it goes without saying.

Registered
CTS
I looked at that as in turbo my existing Base CTS (right hand drive and only available with a V6). But then the memories of a V8 wouldn't leave me. So Installed the complete running gear from a CTS V. Amazing what an additional 300HP does to a car :) Not an easy bolt in for sure. But shes perfect now. Just had to build headers as the factory exhaust would not fit re right hand drive.

Attachments

Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
Looks like you did the brakes too. Nice.

Registered
2008 CTS Black Raven Sedan / LY7 / 6 Speed Manual AY6 / RWD
I looked at that as in turbo my existing Base CTS (right hand drive and only available with a V6). But then the memories of a V8 wouldn't leave me. So Installed the complete running gear from a CTS V. Amazing what an additional 300HP does to a car :) Not an easy bolt in for sure. But shes perfect now. Just had to build headers as the factory exhaust would not fit re right hand drive.
You sir are awesome. I didn't know until recently that LHD cars are illegal in AUS, you guys have it rough there yet continue to pump out incredible street cars.

Registered
STSNZ, I'm just starting down the road of doing the same (more or less). The cost and availability of a CTS-V wagon with a manual drove me to building my own. I'm building mine with a NA L92 instead of the LSA though. I was wondering if you have a build log or a master parts list? I took a look around, but didn't see anything.

Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
If that's the plan, a nice long thread with notes and pictures would be nice. Just to see how much effort it takes. Plus those of us unable to do so will live vicariously through your efforts. :)

Registered
08 CTS DI
If that's the plan, a nice long thread with notes and pictures would be nice. Just to see how much effort it takes. Plus those of us unable to do so will live vicariously through your efforts. :)
It will be a very, very, very long thread, because as I mentioned earlier up top, there is not enough clearance for the LF3/LF4 motor with the turbos in their current location attached to the motor to fit in the second gen. Look up some under hood pics of the ATS-V and note the appearance of the strut towers relative to those in the second gen.

Someone managed to pull it off on a 2012 V6 Camaro, but not with an LF3/4 (It wouldn't fit). The aftermarket turbos were GT28 series bolted directly to the LFX cylinder heads. Coincidentally, that Camaro has strut towers that look like those found in the ATS-V, not square and bulky like the ones in the second gen.

Anything is possible with time, tools and creativity. Hopefully you're pretty young, given the wiring harnesses, the number of computers involved and the added complexity of the turbo platform installed in the ATS-V, I'd hate for you to die before you finish. I can't comprehend the man hours involved in such a process given how time consuming trying to solve a difficult problem using the shop manual with diagnostic instructions can get.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe RWD Black
I have an AWD wagon with the LFX and want to try swapping in a LF3 from a XTS V-sport cause thinking because its AWD also it will remove that hassle of fitment and then I'm only having to figure out about the turbos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts