Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've done all the reading i could find before posting a new thread, and I still haven't been able to find any ballpark figures for power loss after straight piping a first gen CTS. I have been dying to delete my mufflers (just the mufflers the resonator is good where it is,) I know its stupid loud I'm welll past that, i love my engine and the stock exhaust doesn't let me listen to it.

What Im trying to figure out is some ballpark estimates at power loss/gains after deleting both mufflers. From what I've read the low end power will suffer and the mid range power may as well, I'm planning to straight pipe at 2.25 in (stock Diameter) or gutting the fiber glass from the mufflers.

So how dramatically would the low end power suffer? 5 HP? or like 30 HP? I can justify losing five horsepower but anything over five for that lovely noise doesn't work for me.
And if their are any gains on the high end I'm assuming that would be low like 3 HP or something. Either way i couldn't seem to gather any figures from the few hours i spent searching the forum and i was hoping someone could enlighten me. As always I appreciate anyones knowledge and advice, you guys rock.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You won't loose power by removing the mufflers. The only system that creates a bit of low end lag is the 2.5" ctsv cat back swap. If your simply straight pipping at oem 2.25" you will be fine. It won't be too loud unless you remove the resonator, and that's when you get a bit of rasp. You could remove the cats as well if you like the noise and don't mind a check engine light. But I wouldn't touch the resonator. Imo

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,029 Posts
As ztollon said, you're not going to lose any power by deleting the mufflers. I would bet that the engine doesn't even "see" the mufflers - probably anything downstream of the resonator is effectively invisible due to the way the pressure waves work.

I also think that the perceived loss of low end torque that people report is a combination of placebo effect and that a freer-flowing exhaust will give more gains at the top end, making the bottom end feel a bit soft.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew alright thanks so much for the replies guys. Im gonna cut these suckers off this week and wake up the neighborhood, Which is ok bc the neighborhood already dislikes me lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Replace the resonator with a resonated x pipe....sounds effin amazing.... I went to 2.5 and low end loss is VERY NOTICEABLE.... rectified by a vmaxx tb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts