Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V Sedan 6pd
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Anyone looking into converting a 3.6 auto to manual? Maybe using the transmission from Camaro and shift assembly/parts from 2.0 car? Check ebay these days and you may be able to pick up a Vsport TT for under 9k. Wouldn't be a bad little car with those mods. OR maybe even an LS motor while we are there.

I'd like to see some Hod rodding with these cars, they are cheap enough pre owned now. Puke.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
This would be epic. I wonder how the Camaro tranny lines up? Perhaps see what the ATS-V is using for a trans? Likely shares a similar driveshaft and the 3.6L has a larger rear diff then the 2.0T. GM parts tend to run fairly cheap, I'd imagine buying the ATS-V manual trans, driveshaft, and rear end/axles wouldn't run a ton of money (if you want it bad enough).

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
This all to much for me to handle. I have been waiting to see who does what with this car. It's been out long enough that we should see someone experimenting all of this. And this is why I will not lease again. Everything that I want to do can't be touched.I want to see an LS motor put in this.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,396 Posts
Seems like a good way to have ATS V money in a standard car. Getting a better engine/transmission but none of the rest of it and doing nothing for resale.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
The LS will not properly fit with an appropriate cooling module as the transmission (TR3160 in ATS 2.0T and TR6060 in the ATS-V) has to move the engine *forward* in the ATS-V.

A good job with a swap and all of the wiring/software/programming would cost $15k without batting an eye, probably $20k or more.

For that money just sell the ATS and buy an ATS-V. You'll get better components as well.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The car has been good to me for sure. I'm thinking of keeping it. I have never leased a car before this one. I felt it wouldn't be mine. And that's how I feel now and sucks. I'm thinking about modding this car but it's just the lease thing right now. When my jeep is back on the road I will think hard about it.
This car deserves a proper drivetrain. I would like to have an ATSV but don't want to spend that much just right now. I really think you could make this car perform like a V but hasn't really been explored just yet. I really think a turboed or blown LS motor in this car would blow away a 3.6tt any day. Of coarse it would be heavier but this car deserves a little better. Slap an 8 in it and V parts would be the perfect sedan for me.
Mod it anyway and keep it at lease end.
----------

I understand this and have thought about the money it would take. And for the money you can buy an ATS for now and dropping another motor in would be well under what a V is going to cost. For me the best cars made are what we get a hold of and make our own. Not just what the manufacturers put out in mass. You could also get a wrecked front end one for pretty cheap if you are lucky. Some of the fastest cars on the street now are modded beyond what the car was meant to be. That's because people like me are on a budget can put money down here and there and not all at once. I would love to have a V though don't get me wrong.
The LS will not properly fit with an appropriate cooling module as the transmission (TR3160 in ATS 2.0T and TR6060 in the ATS-V) has to move the engine *forward* in the ATS-V.

A good job with a swap and all of the wiring/software/programming would cost $15k without batting an eye, probably $20k or more.

For that money just sell the ATS and buy an ATS-V. You'll get better components as well.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
I understand this and have thought about the money it would take. And for the money you can buy an ATS for now and dropping another motor in would be well under what a V is going to cost. For me the best cars made are what we get a hold of and make our own. Not just what the manufacturers put out in mass. You could also get a wrecked front end one for pretty cheap if you are lucky. Some of the fastest cars on the street now are modded beyond what the car was meant to be. That's because people like me are on a budget can put money down here and there and not all at once. I would love to have a V though don't get me wrong.
Hey more power to you, I've just been there and done that and don't have the time or patience to do it again. I put countless dollars into my Z28 thinking it would be uber fast when all was said and done, but in the end I've got an 800hp drag queen that gets eaten alive by C6s because it can't get traction on the street when the turbo spools and breaks the tires loose. It rides like crap on pothole'd roads, it's loud, creaky, the chassis is exhausted even with full diagonal braces, and there's always something going wrong.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I hear ya. I have friends that are there as well. But they all have older cars. I also want to keep my AWD. All said and done I probably wont do it. But if this car was a little older and paid for I would go all out with it. Really I'm waiting for someone else to tackle it first.But I do like projects like this.
Hey more power to you, I've just been there and done that and don't have the time or patience to do it again. I put countless dollars into my Z28 thinking it would be uber fast when all was said and done, but in the end I've got an 800hp drag queen that gets eaten alive by C6s because it can't get traction on the street when the turbo spools and breaks the tires loose. It rides like crap on pothole'd roads, it's loud, creaky, the chassis is exhausted even with full diagonal braces, and there's always something going wrong.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
708 Posts
Old thread, I know, but what about the other way around, swapping an LFX into an already manual ATS? Now that the cars have been around for a while you can get perfectly good LFX engines on ebay for under a grand. Can the TR3160 handle the V6's power? I'm not versed in engine swaps and I tend to be either naive about the amount of work this sort of thing requires or I over-estimate the complication.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
600 Posts
I talked to WeaponX about swapping a 3.6 DI CTS wagon (found one with Recaros) to a 6spd manual out of the equivalent year CTS sedan. Once we started talking about wiring and other electronics I realized it would be even worse than the 3.2/6MT Acura swap I did on my 19 year old Accord coupe. They said the same thing, "easier to drop an LS in there, bro".

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
Old thread, I know, but what about the other way around, swapping an LFX into an already manual ATS? Now that the cars have been around for a while you can get perfectly good LFX engines on ebay for under a grand. Can the TR3160 handle the V6's power? I'm not versed in engine swaps and I tend to be either naive about the amount of work this sort of thing requires or I over-estimate the complication.
For less grand in parts, you can put a TB, catless downpipe, and tune on your current car and make more HP and TQ than just swapping a V6 will provide. Even when modified, the Turbo 4 doesn't like to play as much in the high rpms as the V6, but you would get a more power for a lot less hassle. So if you can live with a 6600 rpm shift point rather than 7200, that's the path I would suggest.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0 M6 FE3
605 Posts
I talked to WeaponX about swapping a 3.6 DI CTS wagon (found one with Recaros) to a 6spd manual out of the equivalent year CTS sedan. Once we started talking about wiring and other electronics I realized it would be even worse than the 3.2/6MT Acura swap I did on my 19 year old Accord coupe. They said the same thing, "easier to drop an LS in there, bro".
V6 Wagons with Recaros are rare (I think 2012+ with the "Premium" trim and theres something like a "Touring package" that includes them). I saw one come up last year on autotrader and considered trading my ATS on it simply for AWD and cargo space (no kids yet but owning a 90 year old home means Home Depot is my second home).

Or you could find a CTS-V Wagon with Recaros and a Manual, but at this point those are appreciating in value and becoming collector pieces.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
600 Posts
^Hmm that is interesting. The 3.6 wagon with Recaros I found last year was in California I think and it was being sold by an individual for $25k. I forget the mileage.

V wagon with a manual is such an incredible machine, I would totally drive one. But manuals are usually in the $60ks when I find them, autos for less. I think I could be okay with an auto, there's more than fun there with how much sheer power there is. I hate that people modify them for more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts