5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of adding power . What have you done . Looking for reliable and
trying not to void factory warranty .

·
Registered
2014 ATS Red
124 Posts
Added a KPE tune, well worth it (any quality tune would be worth it). Added a Magnaflow exhaust and K&N air filter for sound . Other than adding a turbo or supercharger I don't think there is much more you can do. I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Mike

·
Registered
2014 ATS Red
124 Posts
Most quality tunes don't leave fingerprints so you should be fine. Also, you can remove the tune and go back to stock if your going in for service if you feel the need. I've been in for service and recalls and did not remove the tune and have had no issues.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L Luxury - KPE Tune + Axle back exhaust
42 Posts
I added the KPE tune and axle back exhaust. I really like the result - increased power, responsiveness, shifting and sound. I choose the KPE axle back exhaust cause I thought it was a better design than the Magnaflow and higher quality. No issues.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,399 Posts
I would be more likely to buy a tune if tuning companies gave a guarantee like "if you are denied warranty coverage because of the tune we will refund your money for the tune or pay for the repair, whichever is lower" or something similar. Seems like they all say it is impossible for Cadillac to know it is tuned but at the same time if they are wrong it is completely my problem.

Nothing against tuning companies (I have purchased them for other cars) and I think the risk of it causing a problem are low. Probably more risk than they are willing to take, just a thought.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
^^^ I don't see that happening w/o the tuner jacking up the price of the tune by $50 or $100 to cover its risk. It's too unpredictable to know what GM will do and some other customer mod (e.g., downpipe) could cause GM to actively look for the tune.
I do agree that some tuners promote their tune in such a way as to imply its 100% safe and should be more more cautious in their wording given they do not offer a money back guarantee if the tune is detected.

I'm surprised that GM has not gotten more aggressive about using alternative methods for tune detection on performance cars.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
^^^ I don't see that happening w/o the tuner jacking up the price of the tune by $50 or $100 to cover its risk. It's too unpredictable to know what GM will do and some other customer mod (e.g., downpipe) could cause GM to actively look for the tune.
I do agree that some tuners promote their tune in such a way as to imply its 100% safe and should be more more cautious in their wording given they do not offer a money back guarantee if the tune is detected.

I'm surprised that GM has not gotten more aggressive about using alternative methods for tune detection on performance cars.
I agree and don't expect this to happen. If it was 100% safe it wouldn't be an issue to offer a guarantee and at no additional cost. Basically the risk adds to the money they would need up front, no different than any insurance policy.

I may eventually add a tune but normally wait a few years to see what happens with others and as the warranty I could potentially lose is reduced (when I only have a year left I have far less to lose than current situation).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Only if they can prove that the part caused the issue. Most people just remove any mods before bringing their vehicle to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I see virtually no chance in a cat back exhaust affecting warranty, cold air very unlikely. Regardless, there isn't a "void" of the warranty, if the part that failed isn't related, like you have an aftermarket exhaust and the radio stops working, there won't be a warranty problem. Removing the exhaust and cold air every time you go to the dealer would be a major pain in the neck.

The "they have to prove it" really sounds much easier on a forum than it would be in real life. You take your car in for warranty work, they deny it, you tell them to prove it, they say "no thanks" and your options become pretty difficult and possibly expensive. Unless a serious issue I think you would be paying the bill over dealing with the next step.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
The "they have to prove it" really sounds much easier on a forum than it would be in real life. You take your car in for warranty work, they deny it, you tell them to prove it, they say "no thanks" and your options become pretty difficult and possibly expensive.
Exactly. If legality was the be all and end all, nobody would get t-boned by someone running a stop sign or mugged walking thru a bad part of town with hundred dollar bills hanging from every pocket. Or get stuck when a dealer makes a mistake on a warranty call or just doesn't like you.

The law says they have to prove it but the reality is if you and they disagree, you have to make them prove it. And proving isn't beyond any reasonable doubt, its more like in Judge Judy. And making them prove it isn't likely to be cheap in time and/or money.

·
Registered
2018 XTS VSport Platinum AWD
283 Posts
When a dealership does warranty repairs, it doesn't come out of their pockets.. They are glad to give their mechanics the work.. The cost will be reimbursed by the manufacture..

Now if the manufacture wants the dealer to explain to them, why X part broke.. That is another question..

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
When a dealership does warranty repairs, it doesn't come out of their pockets.. They are glad to give their mechanics the work.. The cost will be reimbursed by the manufacture..

Now if the manufacture wants the dealer to explain to them, why X part broke.. That is another question..
But does GM pay the dealership remotely close to the same hourly rate that the dealership would charge a customer?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Performance
20 Posts
Getting back on the original topic, what else if anything has anyone done for more power on 3.6?
I saw somewhere a TB spacer "adds 9hp" ..doubtful
I am interested in exhaust, can anyone with magna or kpe post a video of some clips driving, inside and out to help all of us ?

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
But does GM pay the dealership remotely close to the same hourly rate that the dealership would charge a customer?
Depends on the definition of "remotely". They definetly should pay considerably less. Since most people don't go to a dealer for non-warranty work, GM is certainly footing the bill for most of the work they do. High volume gets better prices. Plus I'll bet all of GM's checks clear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts