Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered getting a 2008 cts with the standard engine instead of the DI engine. All of the cars I have seen have had the DI engines, so I have not been able to drive one with the standard 3.6. There have been a few comments from reviewers about engine "harshness" and NVH issues with the DI engine and before I order one I was wondering if this is just nitpicking or if there really is an issue. Have those of you who are now driving your new CTS's noticed any unusual noise or vibration issues at either low or high RPM's? Also, if anyone has the standard engine, how is the performance? Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS
312 Posts
Has anyone considered getting a 2008 cts with the standard engine instead of the DI engine. All of the cars I have seen have had the DI engines, so I have not been able to drive one with the standard 3.6. There have been a few comments from reviewers about engine "harshness" and NVH issues with the DI engine and before I order one I was wondering if this is just nitpicking or if there really is an issue. Have those of you who are now driving your new CTS's noticed any unusual noise or vibration issues at either low or high RPM's? Also, if anyone has the standard engine, how is the performance? Thanks.

I just ordered a CTS with the base engine. Not because I was scared off by any issue with the DI. I planned to get the DI all along. However, I couldn't get the PDR with Lux Level Two - so I upgraded to the PDQ to get all the interior goodies then got the 18 In all season tire package. Since that bumped me up over 45, I dropped the DI. It's only 1000 more on the AWD Auto but I was already 2k higher than I wanted. I drove the base engine and it felt great. I'm coming from a 3.8L 195hp engine though, so I expected it to be alot better. If I had drove the DI I might not have been impressed with the base engine. In any case the base engine is quiet, almost church like inside the car.

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I can honestly say that when I drove the standard 3.6 liter motor with 258hp it was more than enough. No question in my mind there is no need for the extra ponies..It was a fantastic ride. Really very impressive engine...I'd order one in a second that way. It was that good....

but I'm a certifiable hp junkie so I figured what the hell for the extra grand I'd get the D.I motor and unlike the gentleman above pass on a few of the more luxury options (to keep costs down)

I get a big kick out of hp so I figured..order the D.I motor.

I'm certainly not worried about the nonsense being reported about the Direct Injection. Remember the press sells more magazines if they find something to complain about.

Most magazines are anti american brands anyway.

Get the engine that you want.

JMO

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
I'd have to agree that the 3.6 has a lot of power, that was the only one my dealer had for a test drive. While I am thinking of getting the DI (because I'm a fool for high hp, especially when everyone in my family is touting foreign cars...like the G35's 306hp and stuff), I would definately agree that if the gas mileage wasn't the same for the most part, I would get the non-DI. That can all change though when I do end up test driving the DI version when my dealer gets some on...if there is noticeable NVH, forget it, I currently have a mustang and am not ready to deal with virtually any noise level besides whats normal.

·
Registered
2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
374 Posts
I think Motor Trend was nitpicking the engine NVH. I've got a couple hundred miles on mine and it's not an issue. I don't know of a V6 that is as smooth as a V8 or inline 6, just because it's inherent in the balance of a V6. I haven't taken mine to 7000 RPM yet because manual say take it easy on the engine for the first 500 miles so I can't talk about high RPM. Cruising at 70 MPH with the sound system turned off, the only noise to be heard is a slight buzz from the tire tread on the pavement. I've downloaded and saved every review I could find about the CTS. Twelve in all. I scanned through them all this morning. Motor Trend is the only one to mention engine NVH. If your even slightly thinking of getting a CTS, and are concerned about NVH, go drive one. The engine, transmission, brakes and ride are so nice you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp
746 Posts
I think Motor Trend was nitpicking the engine NVH. I've got a couple hundred miles on mine and it's not an issue. I don't know of a V6 that is as smooth as a V8 or inline 6, just because it's inherent in the balance of a V6. I haven't taken mine to 7000 RPM yet because manual say take it easy on the engine for the first 500 miles so I can't talk about high RPM. Cruising at 70 MPH with the sound system turned off, the only noise to be heard is a slight buzz from the tire tread on the pavement. I've downloaded and saved every review I could find about the CTS. Twelve in all. I scanned through them all this morning. Motor Trend is the only one to mention engine NVH. If your even slightly thinking of getting a CTS, and are concerned about NVH, go drive one. The engine, transmission, brakes and ride are so nice you'll be hooked.
Its the usual nonsense that car magazines state to try and give "foreign car" enthusiasts something to grapple (sp) as they justify that extra 20 grand they lay out for a similar product..

1 out of dozen magazines found something to complain about with regards to the new Direct Injection technology.

Want to bet more and more cars appear in the near future with direct injection? With its superior power production, superior emissions and fuel efficency.. ITs clearly the future of automotive technology.

JMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts