Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between the 3.6 and 2.0T engine. I know the 2.0T has better fuel economy but given that the 3.6 runs on regular gas vs. premium for the 2.0T I look at that as close to a wash. Obviously, the 2.0T costs less up front. But, if that upfront cost was not an issue which engine would you choose and why?

I'm sure some folks are ordering the 2.0T because they want the manual transmission. Since I want AWD that is not an option so I am interested in other reasons for choosing one engine over the other. Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wanted AWD as well, so I decided to go with the V6. It is a little bit faster, but I think the sounds is amazing. Easily the best sounding six I've driven. I was worried I'd hate the sound coming from a C6 Z06, but it is great so far. Never feels underpowered during everyday driving. Did I mention it sounds good?!?!? I posted a couple vids on YouTube the links are in my picture thread. Enjoy!

----------

The gas mileage is in the high teens in the city. I have pretty dense traffic on the way to and from work. On the highway I get 22-24.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I opted for the 2.0T for the following reasons:
Lighter engine
Great potential for more power with tuning and increased boost
Better mpg
Personal experience with a 2.0T in my Solstice GXP Coupe

Certainly these reasons are only for me. Others will have reasons for their decision for 3.6 or 2.0T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an ATS. I took a listen to the video you posted of the engine sound and it does sound great. The color of your car looks fantastic too!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I too wanted AWD and believed the economy was a wash after you look at the gas prices. I went with the 3.6 because Cadillac has had great success with that engine in the past. This may be naive, but I also think there are more things that can go wrong with a Turbo.

·
Registered
914 Posts
After driving both back to back, the 3.6 sounds fantastic. The 2.0 feels lighter and more agile. Like Jim said a tune should fix the HP differential, and I hope an aftermarket exhaust can fix the sound.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Thanks for the general discussion and feedback! It' very interesting to see post about your personal preferences and why. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great holiday everyone!

Matt, (Assisting Katie)

Cadillac Customer Assistance

·
Registered
51,864 Posts
I too wanted AWD and believed the economy was a wash after you look at the gas prices. I went with the 3.6 because Cadillac has had great success with that engine in the past. This may be naive, but I also think there are more things that can go wrong with a Turbo.
You mean like stretched timing chains?

·
Registered
51 Posts
" ... This may be naive, but I also think there are more things that can go wrong with a Turbo. "

My last turbo went 280,000 miles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm glad to see this discussion, it looks like there are good reasons to choose either. I ordered 2.0LT AWD about 3 weeks ago and have been wondering if I should have gone with the 3.6. I'm comfortable with my choice, but I'd feel better if it were here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like I really can't go wrong with either engine choice. It is going to be tough to make up my mind!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Lets take this a little further. I am also looking at AWD and wonder which engine makes more sense for me.
I want AWD for winter conditions in Pittsburgh. If you don't know, think poor roads on steep hills with slick snow from temps mainly in the 20s and 30s for 4 months. But we call it paradise.
Will the different low end torque curves of the two engines effect starting and accelerating performance? I drive RWD most of the year and my Ford 4WD when really bad.
Anyone with experience able to address this?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lets take this a little further. I am also looking at AWD and wonder which engine makes more sense for me.
I want AWD for winter conditions in Pittsburgh. If you don't know, think poor roads on steep hills with slick snow from temps mainly in the 20s and 30s for 4 months. But we call it paradise.
Will the different low end torque curves of the two engines effect starting and accelerating performance? I drive RWD most of the year and my Ford 4WD when really bad.
Anyone with experience able to address this?
I think if fuel mileage is not a big concern, then the V6 would be better with more weight added on the front for steering.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,930 Posts
Can't speak about the 2.0T, but my wife's '12 SRX goes like a scared rabbit with the 3.6 AWD. Can't imagine it minus 500-600 lbs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
FenderStrat said:
I'm trying to decide between the 3.6 and 2.0T engine. I know the 2.0T has better fuel economy but given that the 3.6 runs on regular gas vs. premium for the 2.0T I look at that as close to a wash. Obviously, the 2.0T costs less up front. But, if that upfront cost was not an issue which engine would you choose and why?

I'm sure some folks are ordering the 2.0T because they want the manual transmission. Since I want AWD that is not an option so I am interested in other reasons for choosing one engine over the other. Thanks.
If your goal is ultimate power, the 3.6 is the way to go, but if you're looking for highest average power in cornering sections, i think the 2.0T has more area under the curve up to about 5k, then the 3.6 takes over. The turbo feels really lively and has almost no turbo lag.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
40 Participants
schwinn