Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 CTS with the 3.6 has 98,000 on it now and I'm concerned about the Timing Chain. Should it be changed at a certain mileage? And if it is about to go, will it give any warning?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
I have never personally had a chain fail, as I have always changed them upon hearing the tell-tale rattle at startup (indicates the tensioner is failing), but others have experienced constant rattle which indicates the chain and/or tensioners are in even worse shape.

From this limited experience, I personally would not change the chains based on mileage alone. However, if the engine will be torn apart for another repair or a rebuild I would replace them just to avoid having to tear it apart again in case the chains or tensioners fail.

For my 07 CTS the rattle started around 115k on cold starts but otherwise sounded fine. I changed them around 118k and everything has been good since.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Non-V
106 Posts
Also if your 3.6 is having erratic misfire and cam sensor codes (regardless of mileage and noise) that's also a indication of timing chain issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts