Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 srx
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im having a problem getting my srx running again.

its a 2006 srx with 3.6.
bought a used engine from a 2007 cts.

put the motor in with original harness and computer (2006).
the cam shaft sensors are the only thing that was different. the electrical connector is different.
we put the original cam sensors in from the original motor and it sets codes for cam sensors. it will start and then die.
thought maybe sensors were no good. bought new ones still sets codes.

i tried wiring in the 2007 sensors and the car will not even start with them.

Are there any differences between the 2006 motor and the 2007. like maybe cam gears different number of teeth?

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
You'll be overjoyed to hear this- there were 4 iterations of camshaft drive systems for the 3.6 engine, 2 for '06 and 2 more for '07. You've got a problem.

·
Registered
06 srx
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam gears have different number of teeth? 4 different variations? can my pcm be flashed to different variations. i have the pcm from 2007 but the harness was cut and i looked at the diagrams and the harnesses are different

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
You would need to ask a dealer if the ECM can be reflashed. I'm wondering if your best bet would be to transfer the '06 cam drive system (sprockets, chains etc.) to the '07 engine. Did you get the engine from a salvage yard? Most know what interchange works and I'm surprised they'd steer you wrong.

----------

Found this from '07 SM-
The third design uses an inverted tooth (IT) timing drive chain on the primary timing drive components and roller timing drive components on the secondary components. NOTE: The difference between the third design and the previous second design is a revised reluctor wheel on the camshaft position actuators. The reluctor wheels were revised due to revised camshaft position sensors.

The third design primary timing drive chain uses an IT timing drive chain and a crankshaft sprocket with IT timing drive chain teeth. The primary timing drive chain connects the crankshaft sprocket with the left and right side intermediate drive shaft sprockets. The third design intermediate drive shaft sprockets incorporate IT primary timing drive chain sprocket teeth and roller timing drive chain secondary timing drive chain sprocket teeth. The third design actuators incorporate a new reluctor wheel and cannot be used on earlier designs.

The fourth design uses IT timing drive components on both the primary and secondary components. NOTE: The pitch of the IT chain has changed therefore third and fourth primary IT components are not interchangeable.

The two timing drive system’s individual rotating components cannot be mixed. DO NOT mix third design timing drive chain rotating components with fourth design timing drive chain rotating components.

The following components are the ONLY components that are same between the third and fourth design:

• All timing drive tensioners
• Primary Guides
• Secondary Shoes - Pivoting guides

·
Registered
06 srx
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just an update. got the car running. had to swap the timing gears to get it to go. unfortunately some of the components from the original motor had alot of wear and could not be reused. had to buy a timing kit for the 06 motor. replaced all the components and now runs good.

setting the timing on these cars is odd. u have to put one secondary chain on and then primary and the rotate the engine and then put the other secondary change how retarded

1 - 5 of 5 Posts