Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... Code reader shows P0036 which translates into Bank 1 Sensor 2.

I've searched on-line and I'm getting totally conflicting information as to the exact location.

Can someone please tell me wear this 02 sensor is and what your SOURCE is for knowing this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best information I find is showing Bank 1 Sensor 2 to be on the passenger's side (Cylinder #1 side) of the engine and the downstream (behind the Converter) oxygen sensor.

Is this correct ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
WRONG

the LH2 and 3.6 are both Bank 2 Driver side Bank 1 Passenger side.

So Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the DRIVER SIDE rear sensor after the cat.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
113 Posts
WRONG

the LH2 and 3.6 are both Bank 2 Driver side Bank 1 Passenger side.

So Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the DRIVER SIDE rear sensor after the cat. View attachment 574514
Umm by your very diagram Bank 1 is the PASSENGER side. Sensor 2 refers to the downstream O2 sensor, B1S2 means the downstream O2 sensor on bank 1.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thats what I get when reading too fast on my phone.

Yes Driver Side it Bank 2 and Pass Is Bank 1

Picture and first part of my statement is correct. When I indicate position I misspoke.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
289 Posts
Oh and thanks 05STSOwner for the PM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bank one is your driver side and bank 2 would be the passenger side you have four O2 sensors two upstream and two downstream. One before and one after the catalytic converter. But before you go and change out any sensors make sure you inspect other areas of the car that may be causing the problem because it may not always be your O2 sensor. I just had the same problem with my STS 2008. I changed out sensors twice and replace 3 catalytic converters because they kept going out. But the problem was spark plugs and coils which was causing engine misfire an excess fuel was being burned in my catalytic converter the sensors are just letting you know something's wrong not necessarily that they are bad although they can be and maybe you just have a quick fix that wasn't my case though. Also you might want to flush out your fuel injection. These simple tunes to your car may I help you avoid catalytic converter replacement. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I wrote that to fast it's bank 1 passenger and bank 2 driver.
Thank you.

Yes, BANK 1 is the side with CYLINDER #1 which is on the RF (Passenger's side).

You can see how easy it is to get the location's misidentified. I'll be swapping it out here in just a bit.

Oddly enough, my car started running REALLY, REALLY strong just after the Check engine light came on. I kinda hate to mess with it because it's running very well, but gotta pass that damn Emission's test where I live.

The thing that sucks is TN is doing away with the Emissions testing here in just a couple months. They're running out the Contractor's contract so those of us that are due are getting screwed. :rolleyes: One big SCAM job this Emission testing is.

·
Registered
2006 STS 4 AWD 3.6
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just changed it out and WOW !!! I can not believe how much more power my car has and how much the acceleration has smoothed out. I didn't think my car was running that bad before I changed it out.

How many miles do I need to drive it now to ensure the ECU deems the 02 sensor good ? I drove 35 miles so far and no CEL.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
113 Posts
Just changed it out and WOW !!! I can not believe how much more power my car has and how much the acceleration has smoothed out. I didn't think my car was running that bad before I changed it out.

How many miles do I need to drive it now to ensure the ECU deems the 02 sensor good ? I drove 35 miles so far and no CEL.
You should be good to go by now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts