Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kinds of modifications will get you the best miles per gallon without spending an arm and a leg to do it?

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
Get a tornado and pop a few gas pill additives every time you fill up. :thumbsup:

:p

Seriously, the best way to increase your MPG for cheap is to just change the way you drive.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
um i think with an aftermarket intake you will get 1-2 more MPG in addition to some added horsepower.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way it to keep your foot out of it! In reality, mods like exhaust and intakes only encourage the driver to 'get on it' since it sounds so cool. Most normal bolt on mods, which decrease parasitic losses will do it. The CTS already has a cold air intake, stock, and some of us have either modded them (TonyA mod) or changed to a Volant or K&N. To be honest, they may increase WOT HP slightly by decreasing the restriction, but you'll hardly notice any mpg gains. Same goes for high flow exhausts.

With that said, when I switched to the Volant and a Borla dual exhaust on my 3.2 (stock single exhaust), my highway gas mileage did go up slightly. The problem is that I mess it up by driving somewhat aggressively in town. My overall average with about 70% highway driving is about 24.5mpg. I have no idea if one would get this by modding a 3.6, since it already has a 2" dual exhaust.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
you'll like it :thumbsup:

·
0 Posts
I did intake and exhaust and get

17 mpg on street and 20 on highway.

my 5.0 Stang gets 17 mpg on street and 27 highway...crazy huh?

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
depends on dealership... there are a few threads that talk about this stuff, i know i started AT LEAST one of them...

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Leave the "Instant MPG" displayed on the DIC. WhHen you see the numbers drop to the single digits, lift your foot off the gas. (that's the pedal on the right:bigroll:)

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
just wondering, are there any detailed (FAQ) threads or something that help explain these mods you guys are talking about? Sorry, I'm new to car modding and am thinking of getting an 08 CTS... i know some mods will not be applicable but I'm just wondering so I can read up so when 08 mods roll out, I can apply them and hopefully get some better mileage as I'll end up being a 25k/yr driver, so every little bit will help.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed
189 Posts
IMO, if you are looking for mileage do NOT get a CTS. Mileage on this car is low compared to others in the class. Maybe the '08 will do better.

If you do get a CTS and want mileage then:

Stick with smaller wheels.
Get the manual trans.
Don't get heavy options (such as sunroof).

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
*** If you are conserned about saving money on gas, do NOT spend hundreds of dollars on a lot of thes modifications (exhaust, intake, etc). An aftermarket intake will run you upwards of 200 dollars and save u maybe one or two miles per gallon, add an exhaust system and thats an additional $500-$1,100 ... you will not see significant gains & rather, will be more tempted to WOT & suck up more gas, (and spending more money). As someone else said, keep your money in your pocket & "change your driving habits." ***

1 - 18 of 18 Posts