Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
cts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my water pump is starting to go bad @ 59.2 K . I'm planning on replacing it in a few weeks.

Where is the radiator drain ?
Is there a bleeder valve on radiator or hose flange to open when I fill the cooling system?

I have a 2000 Intrigue and the fill procedure requires you open bleeder valve that is on the radiator.

Also, any hints on how to hold the water pump pulley while its screws are being loosened ?

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
I have the exact same issue going on right now. Too bad there is no info on this. I have done many searches and I can't find anything about how to refill the cooling system without having problems with air pockets.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
What do you think this is--1965?? They had tons of radiator drains back then. That is all history. Dang it. As I recall, after filling up the system, I ran the car until it reached normal operation temp--while the radiator cap is off. It is a little time consuming, but it worked (on other cars). Just keep adding anti-freeze until full--a few ounces at a time.

Or you could ask some first rate garage or a Caddy mechanic.

Ewill3rd might respond to this.

·
Registered
2004 cts sport
856 Posts
i replaced my water pump a couple of months ago and it tokk maybe 30 min tops... very simple procedure for its an external water pump, just remove the serpitine belt, (you can mark it to remember how it goes back onn incase you forget) rmove the black pulley covering the water pump. i think 6 8 mm bolts. remove old waterpump, clean the old gasket off and dry excess coolant, put new water pump on, i always seal it with rtv silcone, tighten bolts, put belt back on, then pour some coolont in, turn the car on with the RESOVOIR tank cap off and topp it up, untill full thats about it

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6
13 Posts
Okay that sounds pretty simple. So you were able to hold the pulley from spinning while you unbolted it? Just by hand?

·
Registered
2004 cts sport
856 Posts
Okay that sounds pretty simple. So you were able to hold the pulley from spinning while you unbolted it? Just by hand?
yaaa just hold it by hand and lossen bolts with a rachet,,, iff its a bit tight i got my neighbor to hold hold it while i took mout the bolts... but they arent torqued that tight anyways,,,, the ones on the pulley screw into the water pump so they arent that tight,, the ones from the waterpump to the enigne are lil tghter... but nothing you cant do byyourself

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
No drain plug on the 03 rad and I think the 04+ uses the same one.
Just pull off the bottom hose and put a drain tray under.
I would really recomend changing the hose clamps to the ones that bolt on to tighten..much easier and more reliable. I changed almost every clamp on mine even the really small ones.

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
Don't forget to turn the heater on high temperature and run the fan on high so that you flush & remove any air from the heater system also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts