Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okiwont e-mailed his dyno results of his 3.2L with and without the V-exhaust. At the time of dyno, he also had the TonyA mod w/o drilling the holes into the grid. It definately looks like the mod does not effect performance negatively. In fact, it looks like a few horses were gained. Have a look. Thanks okiwont! :)

Once okiwont sends me his dyno results with the TonyA mod completely done, I'll post the new sheets up too.

Stock exhaust:

V Exhaust:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Yuk, those oversized pics suck.

Really he handicapped himself with the TonyA. He had twice the air volume but it all had to go thru the OEM 3" hole. That's good news in that we know it would be better if the mod was completed. Thanks for sharing.:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
MBai2, Thanks for posting my results. Since sending you the results my wife gave birth to our first child...a little girl. She came 4 weeks early so I haven't been able to do another dyno run, I will soon and I will e mail them to you again. Can you post your address again for me on this post?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Nice run sooooo close to 200HP. I am going to Dyno my car Sept 10th hopefully by then I will have the Magnaflow to go after my X pipe and the Headers with High Flow cats. Right now I have the Corsa exhaust with Volant.

·
Registered
356 Posts
okiwont said:
MBai2, Thanks for posting my results. Since sending you the results my wife gave birth to our first child...a little girl. She came 4 weeks early so I haven't been able to do another dyno run, I will soon and I will e mail them to you again. Can you post your address again for me on this post?

Thanks!
Congrats.

Since you're up in NorCal, can I ask where you made the runs?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
It sucks that the V exhaust doesn't give more power, although you didn't loose any. The base run looks like they averaged around 195 RWHP (peak), which translates to a whopping 230HP at the crank, assuming 15% drivetrain losses. Either we have VERY efficient drivetrains (~11% loss) or GM underadvertised the 3.2's power rating.

I finally got my Borla on this weekend. The nearest dyno is almost 100 miles away, but I am going to schedule (finally) a few runs to test the airboxes (stock, TonyA, Volant). I wanted to do before and after with the Borla, but it's too far to drive for me to do two separate trips.

Hopefully, I can at least reproduce Okiwonts numbers. The Borla has 2" pipes vs. the V's 2.5" pipes. The theory is that smaller pipes help exhaust scavenging and velocity, but larger pipes promote maximum flow. We'll see what it all does to the torque curve!

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okiwont said:

Thanks!
Congrats on the baby girl!

When you get the results, PM me.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
It sucks that the V exhaust doesn't give more power, although you didn't loose any. The base run looks like they averaged around 195 RWHP (peak), which translates to a whopping 230HP at the crank, assuming 15% drivetrain losses. Either we have VERY efficient drivetrains (~11% loss) or GM underadvertised the 3.2's power rating.

I finally got my Borla on this weekend. The nearest dyno is almost 100 miles away, but I am going to schedule (finally) a few runs to test the airboxes (stock, TonyA, Volant). I wanted to do before and after with the Borla, but it's too far to drive for me to do two separate trips.

Hopefully, I can at least reproduce Okiwonts numbers. The Borla has 2" pipes vs. the V's 2.5" pipes. The theory is that smaller pipes help exhaust scavenging and velocity, but larger pipes promote maximum flow. We'll see what it all does to the torque curve!
Glad to hear the Borla is finally installed. What do you think of the sound and the SWAG performance?:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Definitely more 'seat of the pants' power. It gets up and goes (TCS activates a lot more and for longer, now). Hopefully, the dyno results will mirror Borla's numbers (10HP, 14lb-ft).

The sound is similar, but louder than my old 325i . . . throaty, but not ricey. I used to have a power jump at 3000 RPM (secondary throttle body opening) but it seems transparent now. I got almost 2 mpg better (25.5mpg vs. 27.4mpg on the Nav) in my weekly 200 mile commute to DC today! We'll see how long that lasts after the PCM makes it's adjustments.

My daughter came home last night and said "Your car looks like the batmobile!" . . . those dual 4" tips are rather large. I wish Borla would have stuck with dual 3" tips. The install was a breeze. The old one is stainless also with nice mandrel bends. Four nuts and three rubber isolators and it was off. The new one uses very nice wide band clamps to hold it together. It took some balls to cut the rear bumper, though.

Hopefully, we'll have several members with 3.2L dyno runs to compare very soon. It really isn't a bad motor!

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Dual tips huh, on the Borla site they picture the CTS with single tips?? Did u choose the dual tips or is that standard for the Borla CTS Exhaust??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My bad. They are two SINGLE tips on the Borla. One on each side. They are HUGE, though. They stick out quite far also (about 3" past the bumper). Corsa has duals on each side. It looks just like the pic on the Borla web page. I think I like the smaller V tips better.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
My bad. They are two SINGLE tips on the Borla. One on each side. They are HUGE, though. They stick out quite far also (about 3" past the bumper). Corsa has duals on each side. It looks just like the pic on the Borla web page. I think I like the smaller V tips better.
Good, so you only had to make one cut on the bumper?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yup. The template duplicates the drivers side hole. I took a deep breath first, but I had taped off the area, and used a permanant ink marker to trace the template onto the masking tape on the bumper. A jigsaw made a very clean cut with no paint chips. It was all over in about 60 seconds. I cleaned it up (didn't get smooth curves at first) with a dremel tool. You'd never know it didn't come that way after it was done.

You 3.6L guys have it easy with two holes from the factory. lol

I can't wait to dyno the 3.2L with the TonyA and Volant. I'm hoping that my stock engine is close to Okiwont's 195 RWHP stock numbers (since I won't be testing it stock). If the Borla does give another 10HP as advertised, and the Volant another 5 or so, it should dyno around 210 RWHP (~247 HP at the crank, very close to the 3.6L). I also wonder how much the Mobil1 helps (the 3.2L doesn't come with it from the factory).

With the 3.73:1 rear of the 5MT (and lighter weight), it should compare favorably with a stock 3.6L (with a 3.42:1 rear). That should tie me by, until Cadillac releases a supercharged 3.6L with the 6 speed transmission. :cool2:

Oh, yeah . . . and did I mention the 27.4mpg while cruising at 75mph today!!?!?! Oh yeah. At $2.80 for Premium around here, it's a welcome benefit!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts