Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to give the Throttle Body and the TPS a thorough cleaning this weekend. For the TB, I'll be using SeaFoam DeepCreep and for the TPS and connections I'll be using special Electrical Cleaner. I notice the actual TPS housing is only held together with metal clips, so I assume dismantling should be a fairly easy process.

Question before The TPS is taken apart for cleaning:

- Are there any internal parts or components located in the TPS Housing that will deploy or fall out once the housing is seperated..?

Does anyone have internal photos of the TPS and/or a link to a Thread with step by step instructions?

THANKS.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
I intend to give the Throttle Body and the TPS a thorough cleaning this weekend. For the TB, I'll be using SeaFoam DeepCreep and for the TPS and connections I'll be using special Electrical Cleaner. I notice the actual TPS housing is only held together with metal clips, so I assume dismantling should be a fairly easy process.

Question before The TPS is taken apart for cleaning:

- Are there any internal parts or components located in the TPS Housing that will deploy or fall out once the housing is seperated..?

Does anyone have internal photos of the TPS and/or a link to a Thread with step by step instructions?

THANKS.

leave it alone, I've seen too many people come on this list after trying to clean there throttle body with TPM codes. If you do clean it as a unit, do not remove the actual modulator or sensor. Just spray some carb cleaner in it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS, briggy.

As you're well aware, I think most of the post-issues related to TPS cleaning come from not doing the re-learn procedure and/or using the wrong cleaning products. My concerns come from not knowing what the TPS body components consist of, and whether the components are prone to falling out as soon as the body is taken apart.

Do you have any hands-on experience with dismantling the TPS body..?

THANKS, again.

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts
I do. Its not that hard. When you disconnect the coolant hose make sure you have something to catch the coolant in. If you unclip the sensor housing nothing will fall apart. theres a cog wheel and the other sensors which you cant really access. I just sprayed electric cleaner in there but im hoping briggy will let me know about the Deep Creep.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS, Max. Great info..!

The SF DeepCreep will work best if only used on [in] the Throttle Body and non-electrical components/connections.

Max, does the inner TPS body really get dirty..?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Haven't done a dismantle, just used carb cleaner and sprayed it against the butterfly and around. partially opened the butterfly and sprayed carb cleaner in. I haven't tried removing the sensor or actuator. Don't really think there is a need to unless something is broken. btw When I did this I had the manifold removed and the TB was still attached.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
briggy and Max;

If the TPS [electronic] module connection is disconnected for female/male prong cleaning, will the "idle re-learn procedure" be required after everything is reattached?

FYI, the (-) battery post will be disconnected before any elec modules are disconnected for cleaning.

·
Registered
2003 3.2L Luxury Raven Black
120 Posts
Please when someone does a project like this can you take time out and do a DIY with pictures for everyone I like to work on my car as much as possible and the DIY pictures gives me much more confidence to tackle these jobs. When I read the forums sometimes I have no idea what the part looks like that people are working on. Just asking.
Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Braz60.

Great Minds think alike. ..:)

I was actually going to photograph (take some video, too) the entire job and upload photos with a step by step tutorial.

·
Registered
983 Posts
briggy and Max;

If the TPS [electronic] module connection is disconnected for female/male prong cleaning, will the "idle re-learn procedure" be required after everything is reattached?

FYI, the (-) battery post will be disconnected before any elec modules are disconnected for cleaning.
Well I've removed the sensor and modulator connector, don't think that will affect it. key word being think.

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts
when the black compartment open..it wasnt to dirty to the naked eye.

Once you clean and shine the entire part and reinstall you are probably going to have to do a throttle relearn. Do this when the engine is cold as it needs to be at a certain temp as stated.

Briggy - im not sure if you answered this but did you put deep creep in the black compartment?

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts

Once you clean and shine the entire part and reinstall you are probably going to have to do a throttle relearn. Do this when the engine is cold as it needs to be at a certain temp as stated.

Briggy - im not sure if you answered this but did you put deep creep in the black compartment?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Copy That.

I'm gonna have to go buy a torx screw socket set. What size are the Throttle Body torx screws? [T20..?]

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts
to be honest i completely forget but i know that one a generic socket wrench set they are included. I dont believe they are that big either.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool beans.

I'll prolly go buy an inexpensive set at Harbor Freight Tools and while I'm there I'll pop the hood before I leave to make sure that the set comes with the correct size socket.

·
Registered
983 Posts

You being funny ? No I only cleaned the throat of the throttle body and butterfly. After removing the intake hose. The purpose of cleaning the throttle body would be to clean debris build up around the butterfly. I'm not even sure if we are talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
2004 EXT
305 Posts
ok i must be confused...im talking about the black housing to the left of the throttle body. It has the sensors and such incased within. I thought you cleaned the insides with deep creep than sprayed the electrical cleaner afterwards and i was just verifying this as i just sea foamed and now im getting codes from this area...again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The TPS is located in the black housing that attaches to the left side of the Throttle Body. The black housiing can be dismantled by removing the 6 metal retaining clips. I would only use Electrical Cleaner on all parts contained in the Housing and SeaFoam Deep Creep cleaner for the thottle body throat and butterflys.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts