Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, here's a new experience for me with my 2019 CT6 Sport. The other day I was standing near the car and hit the remote start and noticed blue smoke coming out of my exhaust for about 5 seconds after the engine started. The car had been parked in the garage for 2 days. So after driving, I parked it back in the garage for another 2 days and set up my camera to capture the startup - and wow! My car has less than 5,000 miles on it and it's burning oil!
Is this a known issue? Anyone else with the 3.0TT experience this, and if so, what was the fix?
VideoCapture_20200611-160600.jpg

·
Registered
19CT6, 17Audi S7 15Audi A8, 16GMC 4x4 15CTSV Coupe SOLD.
269 Posts
Hope you get to the bottom of the smoke.

Now you got me checking out my new 6 on start up.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 CT6 Platinum
96 Posts
Get Cadillac service to look at that for sure.

My 2014 BMW 650 V8 burned oil.....a quart every 1000 miles (or three gas fill-ups). This was a known issue, but BMW claimed it was "normal"....such was actually in the fine print of the warranty. I received no resolution satisfaction from the dealer or BMW customer service on that one....so no more BMWs ever for me. The dealer said any time I needed oil just drive in and they would top it off no charge. Not what you expect when you pay 90K for a car!

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,724 Posts
Unless your oil level is dropping welcome to direct injection life!

Our 2017 GMC Acadia 3.6l does this if my wife only drives a few miles and never gets it warmed up. A good warm up on a longer drive and a chance to exercise the horsies helps!

·
Registered
Catera 2000 & Catera 2001
331 Posts
My Catera does it too, but it's over 200k mile's, and it's valve stems, since my other one doesn't do it, but heads on the other one were redone 6 years ago. Twin turbo might add some smoke to it, but just I would keep eye on it with out being too worried. Audi's used to drink oil for decades because of their engine design. If your oil level checks ok in between services with out topping off, I won't touch it. If not, it sucks, and I'm not sure what dealer gonna do about it, if all 3.0 TT engines like that. Also revving engine often to the red line does increase oil consumption in some cases.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,926 Posts
I hear that engine burns oil. May get worse

·
Registered
331 Posts
I though the CT6 has a rev limiter that prevents it from going past 3000-3500 rpms.
On park or neutral possibly, not in gear, you never gonna reach maximum power in this range unless it's diesel engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well guys, here's a new experience for me with my 2019 CT6 Sport. The other day I was standing near the car and hit the remote start and noticed blue smoke coming out of my exhaust for about 5 seconds after the engine started. The car had been parked in the garage for 2 days. So after driving, I parked it back in the garage for another 2 days and set up my camera to capture the startup - and wow! My car has less than 5,000 miles on it and it's burning oil!
Is this a known issue? Anyone else with the 3.0TT experience this, and if so, what was the fix? View attachment 583348
Hey. Ok I don’t know if this is related but I leased a 2017 Traverse. Into year 2 it started doing this exact same thing and the longer it sat the worse it got. At one point a neighbor even said what’s wrong with that car ? (Colds of blue smoke drifting thru the neighborhood) 😳. OMG I was terrified that I did something too it and they were going to charge me for a new engine. In the meantime I got a letter from GM saying that there was a known issue.... a recall that involved a stuck valve and I should take it in to get it fixed. I waited a few months took in to the dealer and they replaced this valve. Seem to fix the blue smoke issue. Then I turned it in two days later and nothing was said. I have a pic of that letter that gives details. I’m sure someone here knows what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this a known issue? Anyone else with the 3.0TT experience this, and if so, what was the fix? View attachment 583348
All good comments & advice. I’ve experienced similar. Ended up being the fuel mixture was running a bit too rich. After an adjustment no more smoke at startup.

·
Registered
331 Posts
All good comments & advice. I’ve experienced similar. Ended up being the fuel mixture was running a bit too rich. After an adjustment no more smoke at startup.
How did you do that?

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey. Ok I don’t know if this is related but I leased a 2017 Traverse. Into year 2 it started doing this exact same thing and the longer it sat the worse it got. At one point a neighbor even said what’s wrong with that car ? (Colds of blue smoke drifting thru the neighborhood) 😳. OMG I was terrified that I did something too it and they were going to charge me for a new engine. In the meantime I got a letter from GM saying that there was a known issue.... a recall that involved a stuck valve and I should take it in to get it fixed. I waited a few months took in to the dealer and they replaced this valve. Seem to fix the blue smoke issue. Then I turned it in two days later and nothing was said. I have a pic of that letter that gives details. I’m sure someone here knows what I’m talking about.
Could you share a copy of the letter?

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, quick update- the car is at the dealership now getting checked out.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry for not updating sooner everyone, this issue has taken a while. The car has been at the dealership for over a month. They contacted GM Technical Assistance on this one, and a field engineer ended up coming out to see the vehicle. A florescent dye was added to the oil, and after running the engine for some time, oil was found in some unexplainable places in the engine. The #3 cylinder had oil inside, and some traces in cyls #1 & #5. The driver's side bank of cylinders were dry. Some oil conning out of the passenger side turbo discharge into the intercooler. But nothing in the PCV system. This left everyone scratching their heads.
Finally, the decision was made to replace the entire engine and passenger side turbo.
Still haven't picked the car up. Good news for everyone else is that according to the dealership and engineering, this is not a common situation in these engines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally, the decision was made to replace the entire engine and passenger side turbo.
Are you saying they replaced the entire engine over this? Or just part of the turbo system? I’m not in any way mechanically inclined, so I would assume the turbo is part of the engine and not something separate, but your note makes it sound like they are two separate and distinct things. Sorry for being confused.

·
Registered
2019 CT6 3.0TT Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they replaced the entire engine. The turbo is an assembly that is separate and external to the engine. One of the two turbos was also replaced as a part of this repair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes they replaced the entire engine.
How often does a car company replace an entire engine?? I’ve never heard of that happening before. I’d expect them to just replace the car with something comparable ... and I thought they’d have a few left on their lots since Cadillac did such a piss poor job of marketing the CT6. Of course, as an owner of a similar 2019 CT6 Sport TT 3.0, I know they were hard to get. But replacing an entire engine is still pretty amazing to me.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,724 Posts
Are cylinders 1, 3, and 5 the same bank?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts