Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get my '10 3.0 up to about 315hp to match the performance of a 3.6. I contacted Tracy Lewis Performance in Tampa, FL and they told me $850 for a tune, intake valve cleaning, and a ported throttle body would probably do it. It seems they specialize in the gm high feature v6 motors, so it looks pretty legit, but does anyone have experience with them and what to expect before I go through with it?

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,457 Posts
I wish it really was that easy to add 45 bhp but I've dyno tested too much to believe such claims. I'd be surprised if you got more than +30 bhp with just a 91/93 octane tune and TB port and you'll still be well short on torque. The LFX makes 50 lb ft more tq and you might make up half of it with those mods. Still, I imagine the tune and TB port will wake it up nicely. Just don't put it on a dyno or race a 3.6L CTS and you should be happy.

Reactions: acstudios

·
Registered
2008 CTS Black Raven Sedan / LY7 / 6 Speed Manual AY6 / RWD
533 Posts
I'm with CaddyFred on this. The torque on that 3.0 is really bad and there's no easy way to gain torque on a small displacement engine without forced induction. I would suggest buying a 12+ CTS with an LFX already in it or seeing what options you have for an engine swap in it. Is the 3.0 port or direct injection?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with CaddyFred on this. The torque on that 3.0 is really bad and there's no easy way to gain torque on a small displacement engine without forced induction. I would suggest buying a 12+ CTS with an LFX already in it or seeing what options you have for an engine swap in it. Is the 3.0 port or direct injection?
It's DI. I was actually looking into an overkill supercharger, but for that price I'd rather just put the money into a v2. I'm like 9 grand into this 3.0 in maintenance so I'm having trouble justifying getting rid of it though, lol.

I wish it really was that easy to add 45 bhp but I've dyno tested too much to believe such claims. I'd be surprised if you got more than +30 bhp with just a 91/93 octane tune and TB port and you'll still be well short on torque. The LFX makes 50 lb ft more tq and you might make up half of it with those mods. Still, I imagine the tune and TB port will wake it up nicely. Just don't put it on a dyno or race a 3.6L CTS and you should be happy.
Yeah honestly I don't know much about performance mods but that makes sense, the 3.0 does seem to be seriously lacking in the torque dept. as compared to some of the 3.6 cars I've driven.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If it's already DI then swapping to an LFX might be a viable option for you. They can be had for next to nothing as they came in all sorts of regular GM junk like the Equinox, Impala, etc. - FWD can be converted to RWD easily. I'm not sure what the difference in the 3.0 heads are but you may be able to just swap out the short block too. It's not a few hour job with hand tools however so the labour is the biggest part of the job.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,831 Posts
Yea going to an LFX for a little more than what you will pay Tracy would be a good bet. Then do some upgrades to that and get a lot faster...

The LFX can be had for about $500 at the junkyard because of so many being installed in so many different vehicles. You just need to put your accessory package on it and away you go. Will likely need a new PCM custom tuned to that engine. Will likely cost you a bit more than upgrading that 3.0 but then you WILL have 3.6 power... With the 91 octane tune be more up around 330 hp. You need the tune to get the motor working right in your car with the proper PCM. The '10 PCM was junk anyway from what I have been told when it comes to custom programming. The 2012 is much nicer but to make it work has to be custom programmed which means your getting a tune anyhow so you might as well make the best of it. :) Atleast get a quote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually like the idea of a LFX, also gives me the opportunity to get a motor with less miles in there than what I have now. Does it matter what year of LFX it is? I'm not too familiar with anything to do with engine swapping or performance, is there anything I would have to do with the transmission or could I just pay a performance shop to swap the motors and put a new pcm in it?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I actually like the idea of a LFX, also gives me the opportunity to get a motor with less miles in there than what I have now. Does it matter what year of LFX it is? I'm not too familiar with anything to do with engine swapping or performance, is there anything I would have to do with the transmission or could I just pay a performance shop to swap the motors and put a new pcm in it?
Will from Overkill Motorsports should be able to tune it for you. You'll need a few pieces like the intake and exhaust manifolds from the 12+ CTS or Camaro. I'm not 100% on if the exhaust manifolds are the same on the Camaro or not. You should be able to find something with around 18-20k miles for $500 to $750 USD. Cams would be the other part, you'd likely need those from a CTS or Camaro.

I would say you'd be looking at around 2k for the parts including a tune. The transmission is the same so you're okay there. Depending on the installation cost, you'd likely be at 3500-4000 all in and have basically a brand new engine and heaps more hp and torque than you do now. It comes down to if you're willing to spend the money and time to do it.

You can contact Will here through DM Overkill, he's an army of one so he's incredibly busy and may not get back to you right away. I would ask him about swapping in an LFX and the tuning required for the Bosch ECU to handle the LFX swap. Obviously tell him that you currently have a 3.0 and you'd like to upgrade it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts