Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac deville sedan 1986 cadillac deville RIP
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first replacement core went out at 96k and my second died at 100500 and the mechanic told me that it could be a defect in the core (ac delco) because all his clients are coming back wih bad cores. he should me half of the bottom right side had coolant and the other didn't . well the good news i paid nothing still under warranty however when this one when out it went fast with a bang and i had a scond exhaust on my dash board. any thoughts on defective cores.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I personally would go elsewhere and get it done. Either they are bad luck or the parts they buy is suspect. Never heard of anyone having that problem.

David

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the original plan but it was under warranty so I got it swapped for free.so if it does it again im going to try a new shop I picked out.he was saying the AC delco cores have been prematurely going out

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
my third core went out again. so the day before i filled the reservoir to the cold level a drove it 20 miles both ways and it was gone. but the radiator was full. so this time i took the reservoir put and the last time i pulled it was clogged this time it wasn't but my reservoir had some orange crap lining the reservoir and it was floating in the reservoir. so i swapped out the reservoir and im going to get a coolant flush and a new core. this time i got a new brand. wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,936 Posts
That stuff is probably nothing more than cooling system supplement (sealant tab) residue.

Hard to believe you are going through cores like that. Where are you getting them?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they were coming from the mechanics supplier that were told they were AC delco. the first was the original since then two has gone bad and the third here we are. i read online that a bad thermostat could be a issue with a core going out. im at the point where im going to learn how to swap them out myself. from what i learned online you take out the glove box and the lower panels and some black covers is supposed to be removed then u find the core. pics could help. the new one i purchased i got from kragen myself to be put in tomorrow my other question is the thermostat was changed around 97k when the water pump went bad.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MHT0/398214.oap?keyword=heater+core&pt=02709&ppt=C0331

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea they told me my core is bad and my radiator has a crack in it. I haven't seen any coolant loss other than the reservoir. Yea they told me my core is bad and my radiator has a crack in it. I haven't seen any coolant loss other than the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here's the update the mechanic said I had a bad radiator and the reason why my cores keep going out and my radiator was I had Electrolysis in my system. I looked it up and it means the Ph balance in the coolant is off or my acessories ground is bad. i have a aftermarket radio but I used all factory grounds so I dont see how that can be a issue. If the mechanic suspected that was a issue why didnt he say it after the second core going out. Oh I put the new radiator in myself ;)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,936 Posts
You can use PH strips to test the coolant PH. I have heard of using a DVM, but I forget what the readings should be. JimD might remember.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks ranger but have you every heard of Electrolysis affecting a coolant system. but what gets me if that wwas the problem by the second or third core would you think they would pipe up and say whats going on. what they told me was ac Delco cores were defective and they were adressing the issue

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,936 Posts
I've heard something about it before, but never put much stock in it. I think it was a stab at explaining the HG failure. I doubt there is anything to the defective core explanation either.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats what i figured if it goes out again im going to have to figure out a way to connect the two hoses that goes to the core and keep a core out the loop and not hve any heat. i live in california . it doesnt get that cold out here lol

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
I use distilled water when I change coolant every year and the stopleak pills. Never have problems with heater cores. I see a lot of caddies in the junkyard with bypassed heater cores and rusty crap water in cooling system.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks ill keep that in mind but i guess the mechanic forgot to point out when he changed my core recently that some coolant leaked into my floor . i discovered it yesterday cleaning the car so i spent 4 hours drying it up o happy day. but if the core fails again im going to figure out to remove it replace it with a rubber connector and do an upgrade on the heating system with heated seats and a electric climatte system that doesnt involve coolant lol. wish me luck

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Can't be electrolysis, since they must have changed the coolant when they did the core so it would be fresh. I've pulled a bad core out of the box in the store, so they can be bad out of the box. Two bad out of the box is just really bad luck. Are they leaking where the inlet or outlet tubes meet the actual core, or in the core part itself?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they didnt really say they said said core was found leaking on the invoice but i am going to call and ask and hopefully figure out then i will relay the message. so educate me on this one how can you tell a bad core fresh out the box . other than that i would like to learn how to change a core but in my service manual i purchased from ebay was missing that part on replacing cores . ironic huh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts