Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow SRX enthusiasts - Help, I surrender............. I'm in the process of replacing all of my interior bulbs in my 2014 Premium Edition with LEDs and I'm all finished except for the rear dome/map lights. I simply can't get the lens off to get to the bulb. I've gotten the from end of it pried out (as per a previous thread) but after that I'm stuck. The lens does not pivot out in the back and I know that if I apply any more pressure it will surely break. I've also tried to remove the whole lamp/grab handle assembly but once I get the bolts off it moves around but does not want to come off either.

I know that many of you have succeeded with this but, alas, the correct procedure eludes me. I've owned and worked on many, many cars during the years, both foreign and domestic, but this one appears to be one for the books. Do any of you have the overpriced and rare SRX service manual that may tell us how to do this, or have any of you succeeded where I've failed?

Thanks for any help that you can provide........

Your partner in SRXness,

Marty E.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Here is some help:

I did this and I know I pulled off the entire grab handle and light assembly. I don't remember how or how difficult it was, but I do remember it was pretty easy to get the lens off this way once it was down and disconnected from the electrical connection.

·
Registered
SRX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once again, thanks adamjeeps. The key to doing this successfully is to take out the Roof Rail Courtesy and Reading Lamp Assembly. Once the 2 bolts are removed you just need to pull on the grab handle hinges, they are held in place by plastic posts with barbs on them but they do pull out. Once the assembly is out just disconnect the wiring harness (there's a lock tab on top of it) and then you can very carefully remove the lenses and, finally, the bulbs to replace them with LEDs.

Good luck to those of you that want to follow this tortured path - the results of the LED replacement are well worth the trouble :)

Marty E

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
I just stuck a tiny flatblade into the push button plastic part to turn on the light and pried it out. Careful, but it will bend a ways before it breaks!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum
26 Posts
Just used this procedure to replace my rear dome lights with LEDs. I did not remove the lense cover. Once you have the light disconnected, it is very easy to remove the light socket from the housing and replace the bulb and put the socket back in the housing. Very simple once you know what to do and the resulting white LED light is well worth the 5 minutes of work !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts