Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the side molding pieces on the lower half of the doors on the 2nd Generation Escalade, but in at least my personal experience, these pieces have gotten wrecked in certain places from fools opening up their doors and hitting them. Are these lower-door pieces of molding fairly easy to take off of the door and replace, or is it a pretty complex job? Does there happen to exist anywhere a tutorial with pictures on how to take them off and replace them?

·
Registered
2002 Escalade AWD
1,025 Posts
They are held in place with two-sided adhesive tape. I've had to remove those, and the back corner piece for painting, and the worst part is taking off the tape that didn't come off with the panel. I would warm up the piece with a heat gun then pull off the plastic piece gently, hoping the adhesive tape comes off clean. You can cut off the tape with a good quality xacto-knife, but that leave tape to be cleaned up on both sides! Time consuming process... Upon reassembly, there's an adhesive primer that needs to be used so the panel sticks in place for good. But make sure its in the right place cuz once it touches the metal, its stuck there for good!

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI, WD-40 works great for removing adhesive, and it's water soluble so it washes off easily after you're done.

- John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts